Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Monogram of an unnamed 5th century emperor...  (Read 994 times)

Offline Constantine IV

• Caesar
  • Constantine IV
Monogram of an unnamed 5th century emperor...
« on: January 30, 2012, 06:01:03 pm »
Hello all,

Browsing through my old copy of Chris Scares's "The Penguin Atlas Of Ancient Rome" I saw again a photo of what is described as a "5th century ivory plaque...a divinized emperor carried up from his funeral pyre by wind gods." (page 131)
Numerous times I had Googled for roman ivory plaques of emperors to see who this unnamed emperor could be.
So far to no avail.
So, I drew the monogram. If anyone can shed light it will be great!

Thank you,
Masis
"He who gives himself airs of importance, exhibits the credentials of impotence". ~ Decimus Laberius, 46 BCE

Offline Constantine IV

• Caesar
  • Constantine IV
Re: Monogram of an unnamed 5th century emperor...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 07:12:20 pm »
I chanced across this website : http://www.ancientcoinmuseum.com/HistoryPages/LATEROMANIMPERIALMONOGRAMS.html
I'll look and see if any match...

31/1 Trying to make a name out of the letters, I can make out a "C", "H", "M", "V" and "O". There may be two "A"s and what looks like either an "R" or "P".
The emperor depicted in the plaque is beared with curly hair. Due to copyright law I cannot take a photo of the photo in the book to show here, alas.
"He who gives himself airs of importance, exhibits the credentials of impotence". ~ Decimus Laberius, 46 BCE

Offline J. B.

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 03:46:43 pm »
I think the main monogram is RHV but other interpretations are also possible.

Offline fluffy82

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 12:34:48 pm »
Of course you can't miss the word "ROMA", with either "CV" or "CX" on top

Maybe CV = Caesar Valentinianus?

Offline Constantine IV

• Caesar
  • Constantine IV
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 09:33:54 pm »
Roma would make sense, maybe the plaque was in honour of the city.
I have to go on what Chris Scarre has written as the description saying it is of a 5th century emperor, however.
I was wondering if it might be a monogram of the general Ricimer, though he never could be emperor, he was that in all but name:

All coins are guaranteed for eternity