Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Silvered Coin...When to Stop?  (Read 2681 times)

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
Silvered Coin...When to Stop?
« on: June 17, 2009, 01:46:22 am »
Ave!

Nice coin, and fully hand-cleaned...but when I saw silver, I stopped.

I think the coin is done and ready to be flipped. What say you?

Best,

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

romeo

Re: Silvered Coin...When to Stop?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 03:54:44 am »
if it were my coin i would carry on just a bit, but there again the benifit would be marginal and you could risk damage to it. But you know how careful you have to be, there just looks like it could be improved especially around the legends. If in doubt wax n flip, nice coin btw. What was the method used to remove the 'black'?

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 08:16:07 am »
It looks pretty good as is...but given the apparent soundness of the silvering, I think that I would keep on with dw soaks and light mechanical cleaning...and then I would get too agressive and ruin it! lol

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 08:51:22 am »
Beautiful coin.  I think you could do just a tad more on the obverse near the edge at about 5 to  6 o'clock.  I'd also think bout a bit more cleaning at the necks and chins on both sides just to define it a bit more.  Only if the silvering appears really sound though.

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 11:03:59 pm »
Ave!

Here is the final incarnation of this coin...and sorry about the bad pix.  :-[

In this case, I used simple lemon juice and a common dental pick, then a final SBB Brushing under running water. I wasn't happy with the large pit on the upper quadrant on the Aurelian portrait, so decided stop right here; the contrast between the bright silvering and the dark oxcidation seems to complement each other.

Best I could do with this one.

Regards,

Kevin

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 01:40:46 am »
the pit seems to be an attempt to hole the coin I think...

It is too regular to be corrosion.

Ghengis_Jon

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 11:14:25 am »
How much more patience do you have Kevin?  On coins like that, I've put a small drop of lemon juice on a blackened area, let it sit until evaporation becomes apparent (5-20 minutes), rinse thoroughly, and then rub with the flat end of a wooden toothpick.  Takes forever but the results are quite pleasing and little chance of damage to the silvering.

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 12:20:37 am »
Ave!

the pit seems to be an attempt to hole the coin I think...

It is too regular to be corrosion.

That was my thought, as well; someone tried to punch a hole in a really pretty coin to wear as a necklace or perhaps to nail onto their doorway for good luck...or maybe as just a 'test punch' to see if the coin was really silver. The latter is most likely, but who can say...?

How much more patience do you have Kevin?  On coins like that, I've put a small drop of lemon juice on a blackened area, let it sit until evaporation becomes apparent (5-20 minutes), rinse thoroughly, and then rub with the flat end of a wooden toothpick.  Takes forever but the results are quite pleasing and little chance of damage to the silvering.

C'mon Jon, by now you should know that I have NO patience (we'll, not much) when it comes to cleaning coins.  ;) That's my gig, afterall: it's what I do, ya know?  :P

Okay, I'll progress further and present further pix.

Best,

Kevin

All coins are guaranteed for eternity