Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Quintillus - unpublished or tooled?  (Read 1474 times)

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Quintillus - unpublished or tooled?
« on: June 15, 2009, 03:53:51 pm »
I just came across this Quintillus antoninian (but didn't buy it). The type VICTORIAE GOTHIC seems to exist for Quintillus, though it is much rarer for him than for Claudius Gothicus. But the obverse puzzles me. Both the beginning (IMP C QUIN...) and the end (PP AUG) are completely unknown to RIC (IMP QUINTILLUS PF AUG would be expected), and the lettering also looks clumsy and may be remade IMHO, while I would not doubt the style of the rest of the coin (or was the emperor's eye re-engraved too?). I'm looking forward to hear your opinions.

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Re: Quintillus - unpublished or tooled?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 04:00:22 pm »
Hi,

Certainly tooled from a Claudius II "SPQR" coin. The obverse lettering is a give away plus the SPQR mark ceased to be used fairly early in the reign of Claudius.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Gladius

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 01:00:35 pm »
I belive the coin is a RIC 87 like this: [LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN] - the SPQR mark is smoothed away on the CNG coin and it is thus erroneously described.  The P P in the obverse legend is an engravers error for P F, the C in IMP C QVIN...is probably an error too.  But it is most definately a genuine Qvintillvs, not an altered coin of his brother.  Can't say much about whether it is unpublished or not, certainly quite rare.  Best regards, Finn Johannessen

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 01:15:28 pm »
RIC Quintillus 87 does describe the coin with SPQR, like on Claudius' coins, that's correct. So this is not a sign for an altered coin. But the obverse lettering style certainly is. The question for me is just: Has a coin of Quintillus with good portrait but bad inscription just been incorrectly "enhanced", or did they make a Quintillus out of a Claudius?

Rupert

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 02:14:03 pm »
Hi,

Finn knows his stuff with this area and I'll quite happily bow to his knowledge. I'm just surprised at the resurrection of "SPQR", plus the anomalies of the obverse legend.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 05:42:38 pm »
Quintillus' bobble hair isn't as clear as it sometimes is, but it is there, so I doubt whether this is Claudius!
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Gladius

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 02:12:49 am »
I have now received the information that the coin is unpublished with this obverse legend.  Best regards, Finn Johannessen

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 01:17:39 pm »
Yes, sure, but - sorry, I'm still the advocatus diaboli around here. I still don't believe the obv. legend is original. The shape of the letters doesn't convince me at all.

Rupert

Offline Gladius

• Praetorian
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 03:11:12 pm »
I rest my case.  Best regards, Finn Johannessen

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 04:16:19 pm »
No problem, let's just agree that we disagree on this coin. Maybe a second specimen will turn up, and you can prove me wrong. So far, however, I don't regret that I let this unpublished coin go. And who knows me also knows that this is a most unusual thing!

Best regards,

Rupert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity