Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point with your mouse on a coin in the RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Greek Coins (Moderators: Dino, Taras)  |  Topic: What is this coin? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is this coin?  (Read 893 times)
antvwala
« on: June 14, 2009, 06:06:08 am »

Please, what is this coin?  Huh
diameter: 12 mm - pound: 2,01 g
Thank you.

Antvwala
Minos
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 01:48:21 pm »

Don't know if it's of any help but according to the "Dictionary of Greek coin inscriptions", with the N being the only (visible ?) letter of the legend, the following would be the probable cities from where it could come from (did a quick search on those and did not came up with any results...) :

Nacona, Siciliae
Naupactus, Aetoliae
Neapolis, Campaniae
Nesos, Lesbi
Scepsis, Troadis

antvwala
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 12:05:10 am »

Thank you, Minos, but nothing of these mint seen to correspond to my coin. I don't understand what is the symbol of obverse: a silphium? a tree?
antvwala
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 07:53:13 am »

Nothing?  Undecided
Dino
Procurator Caesaris
IMPERATOR
Caesar

Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 08:20:28 am »

No idea.  I don't understand what the reverse is either.  I doesn't look like silphium.  I think that's more like a stalk with braches off the sides.  Perhaps a tree.

antvwala
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 08:54:27 am »

Thank you.

"I think that's more like a stalk with braches off the sides.  Perhaps a tree." I believe same thing.

Antvwala
rapre
Consul

I want to be a coinnoisseur

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 07:06:33 pm »

maybe the half of an off-center thunderbolt?
Raymond

Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)
antvwala
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 07:09:43 pm »

Maybe, I don't know...
Thanks. Antvwala
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Greek Coins (Moderators: Dino, Taras)  |  Topic: What is this coin? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop