Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Which pre-1200 AV Dinars are the purest?  (Read 1291 times)

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
Which pre-1200 AV Dinars are the purest?
« on: June 12, 2009, 01:44:06 am »
I don't have all that much interest in Islamic coins (although I do have an interest in Sassanian and Nezak Hun ones), but sometime it'd be nice to get a Dinar, just to have an example of Byzantium's foes.  I'm certainly no expert, but the ones I encounter on my search are usually debased.  Which states and time of issue would be the best to get?  I'm not looking for any rarity, just a common, garden variety Dinar.

Sri_Sahi

Re: Which pre-1200 AV Dinars are the purest?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 02:25:00 am »
Most Islamic dinars are (at least theoretically) fine gold. According to the commandment of the Qur'an, "When you measure, give an exact measure and weigh with an accurate scale" (Surah 17:35), the caliphs were responsible for ensuring the purity and weight of the coins, established by the shari'a as seven mithqals of gold to ten dirhams of silver. In the early period (if I'm not mistaken) they were equivalent to the Byzantine solidus. There are some heavily debased "pale" gold dinars from Central Asia but those are the exception. The dinars of the Umayyad caliphs are of high purity and great historical importance. The bull's-eye type of the Fatimids in Egypt is also quite popular. Both good choices.

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 01:06:58 pm »
Thanks for the good advice!  I never really got into Islamic coins because of the lack of portraits.

The caligraphic ones are  neat.

So, most Dinars are about the same size as a solidus?

Sri_Sahi

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 03:25:10 pm »
So, most Dinars are about the same size as a solidus?

They became thinner and broader but at least initially, they were comparable in weight and purity.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity