Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help ID please Greek? Cast AE14  (Read 570 times)

Offline Connect4

• Caesar
Help ID please Greek? Cast AE14
« on: June 09, 2009, 12:07:09 pm »
Hi cannot ID this.  A cast Greek with bearded head right and poss prow ship (or perhaps animal head?) and unknown characters.
14.7mm-13.6mm 2.0gr

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Help ID please Greek? Cast AE14
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 12:13:23 pm »
It's Ptolemaic, so Zeus on obverse, eagle on reverse.
Others can surely tell you more.
These typically have these casting sprues but as i understand it the coins are struck on cast flans.

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline Connect4

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 02:18:17 pm »
Hi almost exact match on below ... but just slightly smaller
Ptolemaic Cyprus, Ptolemy IX, AE17 (1/2 obol), (2.77g) Neopaphos Mint, Cyprus, Diademed bust of Zeus-Ammon right. / PTOLEMAIOU BASILEWS, eagle standing left on thunderbolt. SNGCop 669
Thanks for the ID

Offline cars100

• Caesar
  • felicior Augusto, melior Traiano
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 03:23:19 pm »
Hi Connect4;
You might want to check out:

http://www.ptolemybronze.com/

You should be able to nail it down there.
Regards,
Ray
Raymond Carson

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 02:47:26 am »
It's Ptolemaic, so Zeus on obverse, eagle on reverse.
Others can surely tell you more.
These typically have these casting sprues but as i understand it the coins are struck on cast flans.

Andreas

Looks late Ptolemaic, some details off the coin so the mint could be Cypriot (usually if it has a lotus flower to the left of the eagle) or Alexandria.  Can't tell for sure on this and it's possible some lotus-flower issues were struck in Alexandria anyway.   A useful hint is that this coin has the word (PTOL)EMAIOY to the left of the eagle :)

Most all bronze coins of the time are struck onto flans that were cast and broken away from sprues.  Especially on smaller coins the visible evidence of the casting sprues is quite typical.   Most of the Ptolemaic bronzes also show the little dimples that come from a surface-smoothing operation to prepare the cast flans for a clean strike.  Small coins like these are frequently off-center on one or both sides so it isn't always possible to nail them down with certainty.  And with Ptolemaic bronzes, specifying the ruler (particular with these apparently later issues) is difficult at best.  Late 2nd C. BC to early 1st C. BC is as narrow as I'd feel comfortable dating it, esp. since some design details may not be visible on this coin.

I think there is indeed one of these on www.ptolemybronze.com in the PtolemAE Collection area.

PtolemAE

Offline Connect4

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 08:56:45 am »
Thanks to cars100 and PtolemAE for the extra info.  I have looked at www.ptolemybronze.com - amazing site! 
I notice that this coin is very light relative to half-obols listed could it be a quarter-obol as shown on
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?param=21462q00.jpg&vpar=1184&zpg=20483&fld=https://www.forumancientcoins.com/Coins/

All coins are guaranteed for eternity