Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Hadrian unknown sest  (Read 584 times)

Offline berserkrro

• Consul
Hadrian unknown sest
« on: June 02, 2009, 02:35:45 pm »
Hello, sorry for the picture. I cannot find the type and/or reference. Is 30-31 mm and 23,2 g. Reverse is showing the emperor in military dress standing right with scepters (long and short or short and a spear?) with a foot on prow. Any help would be appreciated. Best regards!

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • SUSPIRIUM PUELLAM GULIELMUS THRAEX!
Re: Hadrian unknown sest
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 02:48:13 pm »
Hello berserkrro!

Similar to this one:

[DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Note that coin archives describes Hadrian as being "Fuß (sic!) auf Krokodil"!

Offline berserkrro

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 02:59:13 pm »
Hi GaiusCaligula, thank you! So actually parazonium and what I named prow, a crocodile (and yes, if I look carefuly seems one of those beasts) :D Best regards!

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • SUSPIRIUM PUELLAM GULIELMUS THRAEX!
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 03:06:47 pm »
Yes, I would not have questioned the prow if I did not read the Auction house description! I was quite surprised!

It seems that the late Australian outdoorsman Steve Irwin was bettered by Hadrian almost 1900 years ago!! :)

Best Regards!

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 03:07:10 pm »
Hello berserkrro!

Similar to this one:

[DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Note that coin archives describes Hadrian as being "Fuß (sic!) auf Krokodil"!

Fuß is actually the correct spelling.
Andreas Reich

Offline berserkrro

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 12:15:49 am »
Right now I have doubts that is a crocodile. Here is a close up. As you can see the front is bent more like a prow than a crocodile. What you think?

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 12:41:45 am »
Without doubt a crocodile, I'd say.

This coin is known in hundreds of specimens with clear crocodiles.  Can you find one with a clear prow? We can't go about inventing new types just because a worn specimen, with the proper imagination, MIGHT be something different!

Anyway, I think I see the crocodile's two legs on the side he turns towards us, which seems to settle the matter!
Curtis Clay

Offline berserkrro

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 01:42:53 am »
You are right. But it was not my intention to invent any new coin. It was just a doubt. I'm not a hunter of unknown coins (although I have some), but either I'm not that good and don't know all the types. That's why I'm asking for help and many thanks for the reply!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity