Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Coin ID  (Read 515 times)

jps

Roman Coin ID
« on: May 30, 2009, 01:58:50 pm »
Hi,

I was wondering if anybody might be able to tell me what the coin posted below is. I have had it for quite a few years, but I'm not 100% sure what it is (I think possibly Licinus II?).

Any help would be great.

JPS

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
Re: Roman Coin ID
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 02:28:08 pm »
I think it is a coin of Licinius I from the mint of Aquileia minted 320 AD

Obverse: Helmeted and cuirassed bust right. IMP LICINIVS AVG
Reverse: Standard inscribed VOT/XX with captive standing on either side. VIRTVS EXERCIT. In exergue AQS

Reference RIC VII Aquileia 59.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

jps

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 08:48:03 pm »
Many thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure what it was but somebody had mentioned Licinius II to me a while back.

I have had a look at the web site you linked in the reply and couldn't find an example of the coin I have shown. The closest I could find was this coin:
"23510. Bronze AE 3, RIC VII 110, VF, weight 2.351 g, maximum diameter 17.7 mm, die axis 180o, Siscia mint, 320 A.D.; obverse IMP LIC-INIVS AVG, helmeted and cuirassed bust right; reverse VIRTVS EXERCIT, standard inscribed VOT / XX, flanked by a captive on each side, S left, F right, GSIS* in ex; scarce (RIC R3); $24.00 (€18.00) "

However the reverese is slightly different.

JPS

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historia
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 08:01:34 am »
Hi JPS,
Just for your information:
The AVG (=Augustus) at the end of the obverse inscription, indicates the more senior Licinius I. Licinius II would have been NOB CAES (=Noble Caesar).
The AQS in the exergue (bottom of the reverse) indicates the mint of Aquileia (and the S indicates the second workshop at that mint).
There are literally thousands of variations of late Roman bronze coinage out there. However there is one example of your coin on Wildwinds .
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

jps

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 03:32:40 pm »
Many thanks for the additional information about the coin. I have had a look at the Wildwinds wed site you mentioned and think the coin you talked about is this example:

http://wildwinds.com/coins/ric/licinius_I/_aquileia_RIC_vII_059.jpg

However, I assume this is the coin as it has the code Aquileia RIC VII 59 but it would seem that the head is slightly different on my example. Is this because it is a later coin or something?

JPS

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historia
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 05:39:40 am »
In the days before machinery each die was hand-cut and therefore there will be differences between different dies. Each coin was individually hand-struck, so the centering and quality will also vary.
Peter, London

All coins are guaranteed for eternity