Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: What's this Caracalla?  (Read 505 times)

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
What's this Caracalla?
« on: May 28, 2009, 06:43:42 pm »
I just received this coin today:

ANTONINVS PIVS AVG GERM
FORTVNAE REDVCI
Fortuna standing left with rudder and cornucopia
3.31 gr

It is actually darker and grayer than it appears in the photo.

Apparently, this is not a listed variety. I understand that there are many hybrids of Severan era denarii, and this reverse type appears on Septimius' RIC 378. So I would think it is one such hybrid... except that the obverse legend with GERM appears long after Septimius' death. Is such a hybrid possible, then? The coin does not appear modern to my eyes and touch. Could it be a contemporary forgery? It also seems to be solid silver... Can anyone help? Thank you.

Regards,
Ignasi

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: What's this Caracalla?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 07:45:08 pm »
Probably an ancient copy from dies in official style, probably mechanically derived from genuine coins.

The reverse is actually of Elagabalus in 219 or Severus Alexander in 231, and it seems highly unlikely that the mint still had an obverse die of Caracalla on hand and mistakenly brought it back into use two years or fourteen years after that emperor's death!

RIC 378 of Septimius is Eastern, but the reverse of your coin is clearly in Roman style.

Unfortunately the true explanation is simpler: both dies are by Lipanoff, the obv. no. 81 in Prokopov's book, the rev. no. 104 (Severus Alexander)!  I hope you can return it.
Curtis Clay

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
Re: What's this Caracalla?
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 04:03:11 am »
Thank you, Mr Clay. I'll notify the dealer, but I'll probably keep it, as it wasn't too expensive. It's my first confirmed fake, so even if it's just for that...

Regards,
Ignasi

All coins are guaranteed for eternity