Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Reading a Persian carpet inscription  (Read 1494 times)

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Reading a Persian carpet inscription
« on: March 17, 2009, 02:43:42 pm »
Hi!

Now after moving to our new house we are arranging the rooms. We have found an somewhat older Persian carpet in our fund with a strange Arabic inscription on it. There are two lines in the book above and then the big block below. Anyone who can translate the inscription into English? I hope that it is a reasonable text at all and not only a decorative pattern.

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
Re: Reading an Arabic carpet inscription
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 08:56:34 am »
Hi;
As you said ,it's a persian carpet and it's somewhat different from Arabic script;in general we can find similar words like:"Al cheikh Ali" which has[i guess] same meaning in both arabic & persian..Somebody more qualified than me in persian can do the translation for you..
Regads.
Nassif

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Reading an Arabic carpet inscription
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 02:30:17 pm »
Hi Nassif!

Thanks for the hint. So I will change the headline.

Best regards

earnest940

Re: Reading a Persian carpet inscription
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 04:51:31 am »
this is my personal comment: Sheikh Ali Said ar rahmetehu. (May Rahmet be upon on Sheikh Ali Said)     and in the label above: az kulistan.. I don't know its meaning maybe 'from the rose garden'  :)

Sincerely... 

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 05:54:41 pm »
Thanks

Jochen

Bogdan C

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 03:40:42 am »
Gulistan was a Golden Horde mint, but also a modern rug carpet manufacturing enterprise  ;D:

<<Gulistan Carpet began manufacturing under the Gulistan name in 1924, but the company’s roots go back to an Armenian textile importer who founded a business in Turkey in 1818. His only children, Arshag and Miran Karagheusian, inherited their father’s business. The brothers moved to London in 1896 and stated an import-export business but soon relocated to the United States.

Their first Oriental, or “Persian”, rug shipment arrived in the U.S. from Turkey in 1899, and New Yorkers flocked to the Karagheusian company showroom, decorated by Tiffany Studios.>>

All coins are guaranteed for eternity