Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Hungarian Ferdinand I legend variations  (Read 1090 times)

Offline agord

• Consul
Hungarian Ferdinand I legend variations
« on: May 08, 2009, 03:45:52 pm »
I have been looking at some Ferdinand I denars, and noticed that on the reverse legends the number of dots and or rosets varies. Some have dots on either side of the virgins head, some don't. At the bottom there are sometimes 2 dots, 3 dots, 2 rosetes,etc. Dose anyone pay attention to these? Are the variations listed in any of the catalouges?
any info appreciated,
Thanks

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Hungarian Ferdinand I legend variations
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 09:28:22 pm »
My knowledge of Hungarian coins is pre-Habsburg.  With respect to the Madonna denars of Matthias Corvinus and the undated Madonna denars of Wladislaus II, there is a tremendous amount of variation in the legends, and it is not limited to the number of pellets or rosettes.  To my knowledge, the variations are not listed in any catalog.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity