Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Ancient Coin Forum (Moderator: goldenancients)  |  Topic: Badly Tooled Coins Here 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Badly Tooled Coins Here  (Read 85896 times)
areich
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #375 on: June 13, 2012, 08:31:38 am »

You should have chosen this one (condition "almost very fine"). I need not mention the seller.

Taras
« Reply #376 on: June 19, 2012, 02:14:56 pm »

Never seen a thing like this... so hard tooled to become an incuse!!  Shocked
quisquam
Caesar

« Reply #377 on: June 19, 2012, 02:23:57 pm »

I can see no tooling, it's just the lighting from the bottom. If you turn the picture upside down the reverse doesn't look incuse anymore.

Stefan
Ghengis Jon
Caesar

« Reply #378 on: June 26, 2012, 06:31:33 am »

Looks like the next class called Intro To Tooling And Smoothing has begun at you-know-where.

Don't buy uncleaneds from ebay's ancientcoinman - 70% slugs and NO returns!
Taras
« Reply #379 on: June 26, 2012, 11:25:22 am »

I can see no tooling, it's just the lighting from the bottom. If you turn the picture upside down the reverse doesn't look incuse anymore.

Stefan

You are right, the incuse look is only for the light, sorry for the mistake. Anyway the coin is tooled, as the ebay seller declares in the description.
Ghengis Jon
Caesar

« Reply #380 on: July 03, 2012, 06:18:59 am »

As one who appreciates critter coins, this one makes me weep.

Andrew McCabe
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #381 on: July 03, 2012, 06:29:15 am »

As one who appreciates critter coins, this one makes me weep.

Nice job! Indeed all three critters on the coin seem to have had cosmetic surgery / face lifts / upholstery enhancements / boob-jobs / whatever the current parlance is.

I've now got beyond these michael-jackson quality alterations. They exist, and they are obvious. My concern is now at the next level up. Minor nip-and-tuck's so to speak. An 80 year old face converted to look not a day older than 70. "Gentle smoothing" that hides outright but not blatant alteration.

Ghengis Jon
Caesar

« Reply #382 on: July 10, 2012, 06:45:30 am »

I've resisted posting those types because unless you've got the coin in hand, you can't be absolutely sure.  The conversation can drift from "why do you think that?" to "whats your qualifications?" and I don't want that sort of thing.  I enjoy the light-hearted-obvious-to-everyone examples that can be properly mocked and ridiculed.  Bringing others up to the level of which you speak is a benefit of this thread.  Perhaps a thread titled 'Lightly Tooled Coins' should be started.

Everyone's heard of "flame red" hair...

Ghengis Jon
Caesar

« Reply #383 on: July 11, 2012, 05:59:02 am »

Andrew - How about this one?  The obverse looks fine to me, but look at the owl's beak (and maybe the eyes).  To me, they might have been worked over.  Can't be sure though.  I wouldn't/couldn't condemn the coin without looking at those features under magnification.  I like the coin, but it comes from my favorite Tool & Die shop.

Andrew McCabe
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #384 on: July 11, 2012, 06:09:42 am »

Andrew - How about this one?  The obverse looks fine to me, but look at the owl's beak (and maybe the eyes).  To me, they might have been worked over.  Can't be sure though.  I wouldn't/couldn't condemn the coin without looking at those features under magnification.  I like the coin, but it comes from my favorite Tool & Die shop.

Looks not tooled to me. The surfaces are untouched, the lettering, and the transitions from surfaces to devices look ok. Were it tooled, one or all of these would not be ok. I can't comment on the design aspects, I don't know the type, so I don't know if you see alterations to device details that I would miss.

Ghengis Jon
Caesar

« Reply #385 on: July 11, 2012, 07:07:39 am »

The cut seems a little deep on the beak (to me) and the eyes are not consistant with wear on other parts of the coin's relief.  Everything else looks fine.  I'd want to handle the coin first if I were intending to buy it.  Partly because of seller - if it were offered by our host here, I'd have no hestitation.

Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.

« Reply #386 on: July 11, 2012, 08:45:10 am »

...if it were offered by our host here, I'd have no hestitation.

I appreciate the confidence.  However, if this coin is tooled (but I don't think it is), something that subtle could easily slip by me unnoticed.  Its always a good idea to take a good look at coins when you receive them because dealers are human. 

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Ghengis Jon
Caesar

« Reply #387 on: July 17, 2012, 08:47:35 am »

No comment needed.

curtislclay
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #388 on: July 17, 2012, 10:05:07 am »

Not tooled in my opinion, just struck from a worn die.

Curtis Clay
Andrew McCabe
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #389 on: August 11, 2012, 03:25:51 pm »

A Winter Olympics special: Victory on Skis:

Ghengis Jon
Caesar

« Reply #390 on: August 22, 2012, 05:33:26 am »

This one is comical.

curtislclay
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #391 on: August 22, 2012, 06:30:18 am »

I see a doublestruck nose and flat-struck hair on this one, and deposits removed from the whole surface, but no tooling!

Can you show us another specimen of the same coin for comparison and point out where you see tooling?

Curtis Clay
Andrew McCabe
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #392 on: August 22, 2012, 07:39:01 am »

I see a doublestruck nose and flat-struck hair on this one, and deposits removed from the whole surface, but no tooling!

I agree it looks like a flat strike hence there is detail at lower reliefs and flat areas at high relief. This coin is less worn than it looks at first glance.

Dk0311USMC
Conservator
Consul

« Reply #393 on: August 22, 2012, 09:13:55 am »

Not a coin but a jaw dropping restoration attempt...

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatches/globalpost-blogs/weird-wide-web/elderly-woman-ruins-ecce-homo-painting-attempting-restore

areich
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #394 on: August 22, 2012, 10:43:16 am »

She turned it into modern art!

quisquam
Caesar

« Reply #395 on: August 22, 2012, 02:39:04 pm »

Completely worked over, otherwise very fine.
Robert_Brenchley
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Honi soit qui mal y pense.

« Reply #396 on: August 22, 2012, 03:08:14 pm »

Nah, she's just brought out the family resemblance to the monkeys.

Robert Brenchley

My gallery: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum
curtislclay
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #397 on: August 22, 2012, 06:57:30 pm »

This one is comical.

I see that the seller himself calls this coin "tooled" and sometimes does sell tooled bronzes, but I think he is wrong in this case, though the reverse does look a little scratched and scraped (but not tooled).

Curtis Clay
Ghengis Jon
Caesar

« Reply #398 on: August 23, 2012, 10:14:40 am »

I agree with your observations on the reverse, which is why I did not post an image.  I took the seller to his word, given that he has bragged in correspondence with me on the 'skill' of his workshop.  Here's another example, but not from him.

Andrew McCabe
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #399 on: August 23, 2012, 11:42:57 am »

I agree with your observations on the reverse, which is why I did not post an image.  

I recognise that you had a reason for not disclosing the reverse. Still, there is merit in the Forvm guidance, to always post both sides of a coin, and to disclose all information about the coin (but not about the seller) in advance (in this case, that the coin was actually described as tooled). It makes for more meaningful comments and reduces the work of those commenting!   Smiley

I see no tooling on either side.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 24 Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Ancient Coin Forum (Moderator: goldenancients)  |  Topic: Badly Tooled Coins Here « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop