Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Badly Tooled Coins Here  (Read 160771 times)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Badly Tooled Coins Here
« Reply #350 on: April 11, 2012, 10:07:41 am »
It does have a modern look, to me anyway.

Nick

Offline Dk0311USMC

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • My gallery
« Reply #351 on: April 13, 2012, 06:20:39 pm »
This one is impressive.  Looks like it was being cleaned with a pick axe and the 'cleaner' decided to add a little detail.

lol I like the added headband!

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #352 on: April 13, 2012, 11:38:38 pm »
It does have a modern look, to me anyway.

Nick

You are right Nick. It's a modern forgery with some reverse tooling / damage.

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #353 on: April 17, 2012, 02:36:47 am »
Oh my Zeus! ....coming to a German auction in early May.   The Germans really seem to be working hard to produce this stuff and now appear to be moving into silver, having honed their artistic "Dremel skills" on bronze slugs. It not much consolation that in this case they left the reverse well enough alone having destroyed the obverse.

Ghengis_Jon

Badly Tooled Coins Here
« Reply #354 on: April 30, 2012, 08:23:38 am »
These eyes don't lie...tooled!

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #355 on: May 02, 2012, 12:21:44 am »
I've long wondered who buys the Lanz toolies, and what would happen when the owners try to sell again. Here's such a coin, relisted by a different seller, one who is so proud of its newly carved detail that he enlarges the photo so we can all see the chisel marks!

Offline Falderal

• Consul
    • The Metaphor Observatory
« Reply #356 on: May 09, 2012, 11:06:50 pm »
I would like to put my two cents in on this thread and coin a term for some of the brutally tooled slugs seen on page 16: Hobo bronzes.
"Coining a word leaves your mouth minty fresh!" - G.G. Falderal

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
« Reply #357 on: May 10, 2012, 11:03:02 am »
Hi All!

Just stumbled across this one on *bay.

The obverse hair, at least, seems to be tooled, right?

Seller, who is in Budapest, "guaranteed to the original."

mz

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #358 on: May 10, 2012, 11:23:38 am »
Hi All!

Just stumbled across this one on *bay.

The obverse hair, at least, seems to be tooled, right?

Seller, who is in Budapest, "guaranteed to the original."

mz

The prior tooly on this thread, posted by me, was from the Budapest seller but originated in a ebay sale of a notorious German seller of tooled coins i.e. the usual source. This might also be an ex-L coin. Not as terrible as some of course

PS I must add that the reselling of tooled coins sold by that previously respected German seller can hardly be a cause for us to complain about the Budapest reseller. This is the sort of havoc that trickles down to the lower levels of the coin market when a member of the Intenational Assoication of Professional Numismatists sells truckloads of badly tooled coins. The consequences will follow for years to come.

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #359 on: May 18, 2012, 01:43:58 pm »

i find this thread enthralling i am trying to look at the problems, your descriptions and realize that you all must have a lifetime of knowledge WOW what a vast amount of problems happening out there in the coin world thankyou for your great work  i hope everyone on the site appreciates you     

Ghengis_Jon

Badly Tooled Coins Here
« Reply #360 on: May 29, 2012, 07:59:00 am »
Latest abomination:

Ghengis_Jon

Badly Tooled Coins Here
« Reply #361 on: June 13, 2012, 08:05:10 am »
Interesting re-patination too.

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #362 on: June 13, 2012, 08:30:09 am »
I don't see any tooling on this last bronze, however.
Curtis Clay

Offline Rich Beale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nec Aspera Terrent
    • ROMA NUMISMATICS
« Reply #363 on: June 13, 2012, 09:49:24 am »
Or repatination. Patina looks completely original.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #364 on: June 13, 2012, 10:20:00 am »
Bottom right of the reverse might have been smoothed a little, unless the small markings I see are just the coin's original surface. 

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #365 on: June 13, 2012, 10:31:38 am »
You should have chosen this one (condition "almost very fine"). I need not mention the seller.
Andreas Reich

Taras

« Reply #366 on: June 19, 2012, 04:14:56 pm »
Never seen a thing like this... so hard tooled to become an incuse!!  :o

Offline quisquam

• Caesar
« Reply #367 on: June 19, 2012, 04:23:57 pm »
I can see no tooling, it's just the lighting from the bottom. If you turn the picture upside down the reverse doesn't look incuse anymore.

Stefan

Ghengis_Jon

Badly Tooled Coins Here
« Reply #368 on: June 26, 2012, 08:31:33 am »
Looks like the next class called Intro To Tooling And Smoothing has begun at you-know-where.

Taras

« Reply #369 on: June 26, 2012, 01:25:22 pm »
I can see no tooling, it's just the lighting from the bottom. If you turn the picture upside down the reverse doesn't look incuse anymore.

Stefan

You are right, the incuse look is only for the light, sorry for the mistake. Anyway the coin is tooled, as the ebay seller declares in the description.

Ghengis_Jon

Badly Tooled Coins Here
« Reply #370 on: July 03, 2012, 08:18:59 am »
As one who appreciates critter coins, this one makes me weep.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #371 on: July 03, 2012, 08:29:15 am »
As one who appreciates critter coins, this one makes me weep.

Nice job! Indeed all three critters on the coin seem to have had cosmetic surgery / face lifts / upholstery enhancements / boob-jobs / whatever the current parlance is.

I've now got beyond these michael-jackson quality alterations. They exist, and they are obvious. My concern is now at the next level up. Minor nip-and-tuck's so to speak. An 80 year old face converted to look not a day older than 70. "Gentle smoothing" that hides outright but not blatant alteration.

Ghengis_Jon

Badly Tooled Coins Here
« Reply #372 on: July 10, 2012, 08:45:30 am »
I've resisted posting those types because unless you've got the coin in hand, you can't be absolutely sure.  The conversation can drift from "why do you think that?" to "whats your qualifications?" and I don't want that sort of thing.  I enjoy the light-hearted-obvious-to-everyone examples that can be properly mocked and ridiculed.  Bringing others up to the level of which you speak is a benefit of this thread.  Perhaps a thread titled 'Lightly Tooled Coins' should be started.

Everyone's heard of "flame red" hair...

Ghengis_Jon

Badly Tooled Coins Here
« Reply #373 on: July 11, 2012, 07:59:02 am »
Andrew - How about this one?  The obverse looks fine to me, but look at the owl's beak (and maybe the eyes).  To me, they might have been worked over.  Can't be sure though.  I wouldn't/couldn't condemn the coin without looking at those features under magnification.  I like the coin, but it comes from my favorite Tool & Die shop.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #374 on: July 11, 2012, 08:09:42 am »
Andrew - How about this one?  The obverse looks fine to me, but look at the owl's beak (and maybe the eyes).  To me, they might have been worked over.  Can't be sure though.  I wouldn't/couldn't condemn the coin without looking at those features under magnification.  I like the coin, but it comes from my favorite Tool & Die shop.

Looks not tooled to me. The surfaces are untouched, the lettering, and the transitions from surfaces to devices look ok. Were it tooled, one or all of these would not be ok. I can't comment on the design aspects, I don't know the type, so I don't know if you see alterations to device details that I would miss.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity