Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Resources  |  Fake Coin Reports, Notorious Fake Sellers, and Discussions (Moderators: maridvnvm, Ilya Prokopov)  |  Topic: Badly Tooled Coins Here 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Badly Tooled Coins Here  (Read 109059 times)
cmcdon0923
Caesar

« Reply #500 on: February 24, 2014, 11:43:31 pm »

Tooled?

My money says "yes"......

Andrew McCabe
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #501 on: February 25, 2014, 03:32:41 pm »

From a German seller, not the usual one, but probably bought from the usual one or bought from the supplier to the usual one. I have no idea what coin type it is intended to be. The obverse looks vaguely like bronze asses of the 180-140 BC period. The reverse, well who knows. The prow is unlike any Roman coin, and the vague M above it could have been tooled from anything; the word ROMA is of course a complete modern fabrication about half the size of what it really should be like. The seller claims it is an as of Pompey. That, it certainly isn't. Currently listed on a supposedly reputable coin sales platform. He isn't shy about price or condition, 425 euros, VF. I'm pretty sure that when this was an ancient coin, sometime last year maybe, it was in Fair-Good condition and probably priced below 10 euros.

Molinari
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Herakles cheated!

« Reply #502 on: March 28, 2014, 10:52:17 am »

This "lightly tooled" coin hits close to home.  In this case, the (usual) seller would have been able to charge quite the premium because it is a very rare variety, possibly new, that shows an olive sprig below the man-faced bull.  Impossible to say just how rare because it has been altered so I can't be sure of anything.  But it may have been a new version of the Olive Sprig variety, this one with legend instead of bow on obverse.

Now, I won't touch it Sad

The worst part is, I bet it was a decent enough coin before the tooler got a hold of it!

Ghengis Jon
Caesar

« Reply #503 on: April 23, 2014, 08:08:33 am »

Bleh.  "sehr schön" ?!?

Don't buy uncleaneds from ebay's ancientcoinman - 70% slugs and NO returns!
jmuona
Procurator Caesaris
Consul

I love this forum!

« Reply #504 on: April 29, 2014, 01:12:13 am »

Again, already in my Gallery, but worth seeing here as well. The hairdo was redone with an idea of the original, the reverse drapery is just horrible.
s.
Jyrki Muona

Andrew McCabe
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #505 on: April 29, 2014, 02:00:49 am »

Could I ask a Moderator to please "stickie" this Badly Tooled Coins thread to the Ancient Coin Forum. The thread has been running continually for five years with some 500 responses and shows no signs of fading so I think its earned credit to be a stickie by now! Currently when I'm looking for the thread I have to search for it anew each time and a stickie would make it easy to find.

Molinari
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Herakles cheated!

« Reply #506 on: May 01, 2014, 10:41:15 am »

I'm glad this is now stickied, thanks for suggesting it, Andrew.

Here's one I saw today that made me sad, since it is truly rare.

I'm not sure if the obverse is tooled, but I am certain the face of the man-faced bull on the reverse is.

EDIT:  The seller obviously knows it is tooled but hasn't labeled it as such.  If he didn't think so, he'd be selling it for at least 10x the amount at which he has it listed!

Molinari
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Herakles cheated!

« Reply #507 on: June 12, 2014, 08:56:30 am »

Sold previously as "smoothed".  Surprisingly, the current seller does not have it described that way.  I wrote to them and recommended they list it as tooled, because it is.  Specifically, the face of the man-faced bull and the warrior's face on the reverse.

Taras
« Reply #508 on: June 13, 2014, 12:14:03 am »

Sold previously as "smoothed".  Surprisingly, the current seller does not have it described that way.  I wrote to them and recommended they list it as tooled, because it is.  Specifically, the face of the man-faced bull and the warrior's face on the reverse.

I agree, this coin is much problematic.
Bye

Nico
paparoupa
Parasitica Cliens
Consul

« Reply #509 on: June 13, 2014, 01:39:04 am »

There must have been a change in the person writing the descriptions for the recent auctions, I noticed an increasing use of "good or excellent metal for issue"  which was rarely used in older auctions...

areich
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #510 on: June 13, 2014, 03:13:04 am »

Sometimes descriptions seem to come from the consignors, like "earthen patina" for glued-on sand. Can anybody be sure with coins like this one here, whether it is even genuine?

Molinari
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Herakles cheated!

« Reply #511 on: June 13, 2014, 05:36:36 am »

Can anybody be sure with coins like this one here, whether it is even genuine?

I think so.  It is consistent with one of the two dies for this type except for the face and some heavy smoothing around the legend and major devices.  Unless it is a forgery copying a real die that was later tooled...but that doesn't make sense to me.

I see a lot of Sileraioi litrai tooled.  I think they were generally weakly struck at the face of the man-faced bull, and that is often the area where toolers focus, because who wants a coin of a man-faced bull with no face?  There is also one definite fake die for the Sileraioi, published on Forvm and discussed in another thread, and one suspected, see the second to last two coins here, which appeared on the market only recently and are of a style inconsistent with known Sileraioi bronzes:

http://manfacedbulls.wordpress.com/uncertain-2/

Molinari
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Herakles cheated!

« Reply #512 on: June 23, 2014, 07:20:10 pm »

The above mentioned Sileraioi coin is now described as lightly tooled.

fomovore
Auxiliary

« Reply #513 on: November 02, 2014, 08:55:42 pm »

If this isn't tooled, I don't know what is:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PARTHIAN-KINGDOM-MITHRADATES-II-121-91-B-C-AE-DICHALKOUS-HORSE-HEAD-/381029891802?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58b726beda
Andrew McCabe
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #514 on: December 22, 2014, 03:14:32 pm »

It's been a few months since I visited fleabay but it didn't take long to remind me why I'd delayed my return so long. Still, there are always new surprises. I've always wanted an EPEIV TOECI as, and now is my chance. Perhaps I'll make an offer:

Jay GT4
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Leave the gun, take the Canoli!

« Reply #515 on: December 22, 2014, 04:27:09 pm »

Ugh!

My Gallery: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=18312

IG: @artisan.flooring
J. Grande
paparoupa
Parasitica Cliens
Consul

« Reply #516 on: January 15, 2015, 08:06:56 am »

First tooled in 2015, a Mamertinoi Pentonkion on sale in an Italian auction with provenance of being unsold in a German auction in 2010

Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.

« Reply #517 on: January 15, 2015, 08:25:06 am »

I split the recent Demetrios Poliorketes posts into a new topic and moved it to Authentication, Fakes and Fraudshttp://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=99864.0

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
paparoupa
Parasitica Cliens
Consul

« Reply #518 on: March 20, 2015, 08:27:26 am »

Coming up in a German auction, I believe the hair has been tooled

OldMoney
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

My Site! oldmoney.com.au or via VCoins

« Reply #519 on: April 15, 2015, 08:11:04 am »

Another one coming up soon, especially the reverse.

http://www.sixbid.com/images/auction_images/1904/1660749l.jpg

Claimed to have been: "Smoothed and tooled in ancient time" (sic).

Walter Holt

Coins of Ephesus
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ephesuscoins/
Walter Holt's Old Money - Ancient Coins
http://www.vcoins.com/oldmoney
ancientdave
Caesar

« Reply #520 on: June 22, 2015, 11:40:21 pm »

This one is upsetting, from a trusted auction site who really ought to know better. An oversight possibly, but to my eye it's very blatant. No mention of this very obvious example of tooling. I very much hope this does not become a pattern for this well respected firm. Thoughts?

snapapuss
Praetorian

« Reply #521 on: July 24, 2015, 02:33:21 pm »

Domitian for Julia Titi

Described in translation as Carved, smoothed otherwise very nice see photo
24.65gr
39mm
Currently over 600 CAD
snapapuss
Praetorian

« Reply #522 on: July 24, 2015, 02:35:12 pm »

How do I make the picture bigger

Thanks

steve
Molinari
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Herakles cheated!

« Reply #523 on: August 03, 2015, 08:41:48 am »

This must be tooled, right?  I'm second guessing myself because of the venue, and that's the dangerous thing about these sneaking in to the more prestigious firms...

SICILY, Akragas. Circa 425/0-410/06 BC. Æ Hemilitron – Hexonkion (26mm, 19.33 g). [Eagle standing right on hare] / [Crab; uncertain symbols in fields]; c/m: head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin, within incuse circle. For coin: cf. HGC 2, 133. For c/m: CNS 92 CM. Countermark Near VF, coin Poor.

okidoki
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #524 on: August 05, 2015, 04:05:54 pm »

Hadrian moneta

All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.
http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Resources  |  Fake Coin Reports, Notorious Fake Sellers, and Discussions (Moderators: maridvnvm, Ilya Prokopov)  |  Topic: Badly Tooled Coins Here « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop