Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Antoninus Pius VOTA SVSCEPTA DEC IIII  (Read 1292 times)

Offline The Apostle

• Consul
Antoninus Pius VOTA SVSCEPTA DEC IIII
« on: April 27, 2009, 12:27:51 am »
I recently won this coin & am wondering why I was the only bidder.  I think its rather attractive except for the damage in front of the bust.  I searched FORVM's catalog along with the gallery & found zero Dupondius' of Antoninus Pius.  I did find examples of this coin at Dirty Old Coins & Coinarchives.  Based on that I believe this coin to be RIC 1020.  Perhaps someone could let me know about the reverse & what DEC IIII means.  Thanks

Obv: ANTONINVSAVGPIVSPPTRPXXIII - Radiate head right
Rev: VOTASVSCEPTADECIII Exe: COSIIII - Antoninus Pius standing left, sacrificing over altar; S C across fields
158-159 (Rome)

Offline mdelvalle

• Caesar
  • Mi nombre es Mario
    • My collection on the web
Re: Antoninus Pius VOTA SVSCEPTA DEC IIII
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 12:46:33 am »
Hi Apostle,
I am not expert, so I can make a mistake, but I don't like the coin, I find cast.   
DEC, it means decennal (10 years), DEC III or DECENNAL III then he would be requesting for 30 years.   
This coinage refers to the votes undertaken in the 20 anniversary of its reign, in the hopes of governing  with success during ten years more.

Regards
Mario

Offline The Apostle

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 03:18:04 pm »
I don't have the coin in hand yet, its coming from the UK.  What would give you the impression this coin is cast?

Offline mdelvalle

• Caesar
  • Mi nombre es Mario
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 03:46:14 pm »
Hi,
The small globes in the surface of the coin and the lack of details in the bust of the obverse. Sorry but English is not my birth  language and is difficult to explain me. Anyway  you don't worry that I can make a mistake. I repeat  that I am not expert.

Regards
Mario

Offline Frans Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 04:33:46 pm »
Your coin is RIC 1020 and it is definitely genuime, be it rather encrustrated. A good soak in Dr gringots and gentle brushing in between the baths, will solve most of it. Just an hour ago I bought RIC 814, which is the 'undated' variant, also at a very modest price.
Congrats to us both!

Frans

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 04:43:29 pm »
Hi,

The dealer who sold the above coin (if it's the one I think it is) stands regularly at fairs I go to. He's not infallible but I have always found him a good person to deal with.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline mdelvalle

• Caesar
  • Mi nombre es Mario
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 05:21:34 pm »
I am glad to have me mistaken. :-X
Greetings

Mario

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 07:36:27 pm »
This type is rare with date TR P XXIII = 160 AD. 

The normal date on types celebrating these vows is TR P XXII = 159 AD.
Curtis Clay

Offline The Apostle

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 07:42:20 pm »
I received this coin today in the mail today and must say it is even more attractive than the picture.  Based on Curtis' post about this reignal year being rare paired with this type could someone assign a RIC rating for this coin?  Thanks.

Offline Frans Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 07:46:46 am »
There is a dupondius RIC 1037 which fits the description. It is rated 'S' scarse , but when Curtis says it is rare, you better believe him!

regards,

Frans

All coins are guaranteed for eternity