Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Hadrian drachm Year 11 Dattari 1832?  (Read 626 times)

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Hadrian drachm Year 11 Dattari 1832?
« on: April 21, 2009, 09:45:10 pm »
So I picked up this Hadrian Tet   drachm at a local show totally on impulse for its eye appeal.......the dealer had it attributed and I do not doubt his attribution. My question is the reverse appears to be a match for the coin from coin archives (top one) I have posted. So I am okay there I think,  my question is  how would I attribute the obverse?  is this Hadrian as Augustus….forgive my ignorance if I phrase my question wrongly…. I do not have BMC.

Dealer attribution
Hadrian
Egypt Tetdrachm Alexandria
Rev: [LENΔEK – ATOV] ?  Serapis seated l. on throne, holding sceptre and placing r. hand on head of Cerberus at his feet
obv \: bust rt
34mm 22.08 gm
BMC 737

Cordially as always

CW

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Hadrian tet
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 11:14:20 pm »
At 34mm this is surely a bronze drachm not a tet, reverse Hades-Serapis seated l., Year 11; several members can give you the Milne-Dattari references, and will probably do so in a hurry if you make your title more specific. See also the coins pictured on www.wildwinds./com/coins/greece/egypt/alexandria/t.html and at coinsofromanegypt.org.
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Re: Hadrian drachm Milne-Dattari reference?
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 12:13:56 am »
Thank you archivum, (subject changed to drachm)

am I to understand then that this is Serapis with his hand on Hades not Cerberus? Cerberus being the guardian of the underworld are they one and the same as in represented on this coin? I ask this as the attribution I quoted came from the V-coins site and seems to me in  my humble eye to be the same reverse?

cw

ps I will be checking the sites you referenced

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Hadrian drachm Milne-Dattari reference?
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 12:31:06 am »
Serapis is often conflated with Hades in Egypt, and Kerberos is Hades' attendant.  Your coin is clearly a very close relative of this specimen (a now-blocked online listing), so the given Dattari reference will just about do for your specimen; I am worried however about the odd error in your legend, KIA rather than KAI.  If you edit your title once more to read Hadrian drachm Year 11 Dattari 1832? I'll bet someone with better books handy than I have will sort out these questions in no time.

Offline iwaniw

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Hadrian drachm Year 11 Dattari 1832?
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 03:44:03 pm »
Wileyc:

It is an earlier issue for Hadrian (years 2 to 8 style).  The inscription appears to be:  AVTKAITRAI---ADRIACEB, so I would guess a year from 4 to 8. In that range there are year 6 and 8 specimens known -- all are rarer than the year 11 types. However the style of the year 11 pieces is more in demand.

year 6= Dattari 1831; year 8 = Dattari/Savio 7771

(It looks like it might be L---H on your specimen, =year 8. You should confirm the reading of the date)

Iwaniw

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 09:05:51 pm »
Thanks for your help

cw

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 09:16:43 pm »
I didn't read your first message closely enough and thought you were inquiring about the first coin in the message; iwaniw is quite right about the the second coin that you've pictured, the one that you actually bought!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity