Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Need help with Tacitus  (Read 473 times)

Offline laney

• Caesar
Need help with Tacitus
« on: April 19, 2009, 08:56:04 am »
23 mm   4.0 g
This silvered Tacitus has me stumped:
IMP C M CL TACITVS AVG/CLEMENTIA TEMP
Star between
mintmark?
I haven't been able to find a match with the eagle-tipped scepter rev plus star plus ?N or ?H or whatever in exe.
I'm not even sure who the figure other than the emperor is on the rev.  Thanks for any help.

Laney

Offline cars100

• Caesar
  • felicior Augusto, melior Traiano
Re: Need help with Tacitus
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 09:22:35 am »
Hi;
RIC 126, Roma stg. r.,receiving globe from Tacitus.
Ray

EDIT: Mint may be Rome -- RM
Raymond Carson

black-prophet

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 10:59:51 pm »
Hi Laney,

Your coin was Definitely minted at Tripolis second Emission- Mintmark is either KA with * in center field ,which would make it RIC 213 or IA with * in center field which is not listed in RIC ,but is listed in Estiot as a Double Aureliani-.The significance of the mintmark is that KA would make the silver content of the coin 20:1(K is greek for 20) whereas IA(I is greek for 10)would give your coin a silver content of 10:1 hence the designation of Double Aureliani .Warren Esty in a paper published a few years ago actually did metal analysis on some of these coins and pretty muched proved that the mintmarks  did indeed refer to the ratio of silver and not some other Ratio.Also the reverse would be described as Emperor with Scipio, receiving globe from Jupiter holding Long Scepter.

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 04:45:53 am »
Laney's coin seems to be Tripolis 213 with KA in exergue.

The one that is sometimes a double radiate is Tripolis 214, which RIC gives as KA or IA with star above. Although CLEMENTIA TEMP, it features Mars with olive branch, spear and shield, rather than emperor and Jupiter.

I wrote an article for NC a while ago which covers amongst other things, the silver rich coins of Tacitus. You can see it here - https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia/coins/r5/Florianus.pdf
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline laney

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 12:53:52 pm »
Wow!  Thank you all.  This has been a veritable Conan-Doyle experience.  PeterD, I read the paper you attached and found information that will help with some other silvered coins that I've cleaned.  Much appreciated.
Best,
Laney

black-prophet

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 01:34:32 pm »
PeterD,excellent paper to be sure, but I believe you may be mistaken about Mars being the only reverse paired with The IA exergue and CLEMENTIA TEMP legend.Estiot sites 2 examples with IA exergue and Jupiter,Emperor reverse.One in the BN(Estiot 1848) and one in Gysen coll.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity