Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Poll

Which coin do you prefer?

left coin
14 (43.8%)
right coin
18 (56.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: 2 Bolskan denarii, which one do you like more?  (Read 6192 times)

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
2 Bolskan denarii, which one do you like more?
« on: April 19, 2009, 07:14:03 am »
Hi all,
by coincidence I now have two of these coins, an interesting type,
which I've wanted for a while. I have a clear favourite of the two,
I would be interested to find out what others think.

Thanks

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
Re: 2 Bolskan denarii, which one do you like more?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 03:41:03 pm »
This is really difficult. I prefer the style of the coin on the left although the right hand coin seems a bit better preserved. I've cast my vote for the coin on the left. I suspect that it is your favourite too is it not?  ;)

Alex.

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 03:54:10 pm »
Difficult, indeed. But because I see more details on the r. coin I must vote for the r. coin.

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 04:37:22 pm »
Well...I personally prefer the left version. I am thinking you do as well. ( left coin: first coin pictured and perfectly oriented as opposed to the slighlty skewed photo of the right one...therefore the left is favored, my dear Watson! lol)

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline wandigeaux (1940 - 2010)

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 04:58:58 pm »
I prefer the one on the right (toning, perhaps better metal).  I would not, however, pay more for the right over the left.  For what it is worth.  George Spradling
Hwaet!
"The pump don't work 'cuz the Vandals took the handle" - St. Augustine
GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!
(1940 - 2010)

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 05:14:10 pm »
Right one too. More details.

Regards,
Ignasi

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 05:19:49 pm »
Interesting. Thanks for the votes so far.
Andreas Reich

taurisker

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 05:37:48 pm »
These coins are "charming" ... I´d take them both  8)

cheers
taurisker

Offline Brian L

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 09:16:04 pm »
For me,my eye appeal is on the left.
Those who stand for nothing,will fall for anything.- Alexander Hamilton
My Gallery:  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=21532

Offline Benjamin Aho

• Praetorian
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 10:11:05 am »
This is really difficult. I prefer the style of the coin on the left although the right hand coin seems a bit better preserved. I've cast my vote for the coin on the left. I suspect that it is your favourite too is it not?  ;)

Alex.
I think the left one is better also.
Better condition.

Ben

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 10:26:18 am »
Interesting responses, thank you.
The result is 10 for the right, 6 for the left coin.
My favourite is the coin on the right, I just like the style much more and the toning/colour is also nicer but that is secondary.

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 01:26:51 pm »
I couldn't find words to defend this impression, but it seems to me that, in a run of dies made for this issue, the dies at right are nearer primary and the die pair at left begin to partake of qualities I associate with repetition.  So I was one of ten preferring the righthand coin.  Pat L.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 01:42:10 pm »
That's what I thought as well, just not formulated as well as you did.
I loved the first coin when I got it, I didn't compare at the time, just saw it at an auction
and bid.
But when I got the new coin I immediately found it much more pleasing to look at and
the condition played almost no part in that, except the colour to a degree.
The left coin has a very slight reddish tint, which is not as attractive as the steel grey in my eyes.
Andreas Reich

Offline Benjamin Aho

• Praetorian
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 12:29:01 pm »
I see you are selling the left one now for $75.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 12:34:05 pm »
Yes, I can't afford to keep both.
Andreas Reich

NumisMatty

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2009, 07:57:40 pm »
If you ask me, the quality of the designs on the right coin is much better - look at the horse on the left coin, it looks too fat to carry its rider, so he isn't going to get very far and the right coin has a longer spear/pole so he's going to win a jousting competition with the guy on the left. The bust on the right coin is much more realistic too, and of course the dies were sharper for the coin on the right, although I agree with the sentiment that the more stylised quality of the left coin can be preferable too.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 08:10:14 am »
I don't think anyone has claimed Bolskan is a city.  I think the belief is that it is a name. 

I don't know if "Gómez-Moreno/Untermann" were antisemitic but if you say that simply because they don't agree that text is Hebrew, you are misusing the word.  It is very difficult for me to believe the text is Hebrew and I am not antisemetic. 

The types, faces and figures, do not appear to be Hebrew at all.  They are nothing like the Jewish coins of the Holy Land, which do not depict human faces. 

The alphabet, to my untrained eye, appears to be a mixture of Latin, Greek and/or Phoenician/Aramaic/Hebrew.  Based on the types, location, and accepted history, it seems more likely that they would be Phoenician influenced than Hebrew. 

What references discuss these Hebrew people from Spain?

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 05:07:10 pm »
Without specializing in the early history of Spain, I have garnered the impression from decades of general reading that almost all the languages, and their dialects, of western Semitic languages successively have passed through and often stayed a while in southern Spain.  Also, it is sort of funny to regard Hebrew as any more or less Semitic than the others.  They are all of them strains of one branch of Semitic.  At least, that's what I was taught.  Pat L.

Offline Paleologo

• Consul
  • nulla die sine nummo.
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2009, 08:21:51 am »
Dear Antonio, you make a very clear-cut statement here (and in a number of other posts) that the ancient people from Iberia were Hebrews (or that they spoke/wrote Hebraic, does this make a difference?). You also state that these Hebrews were forged into a Celtic people because of anti-semitic Nazi and Nazi-oriented propaganda. This propaganda would go back to at least 70 years ago. I would expect that in the last 70 years some sort of archaeological evidence other than monetary legends would come to light, supporting your statement that the ancient people from Iberia were Hebrews. Can you mention any of this archaeological evidence? How can you combine the existence of a people of Hebraic origin in Iberia in historical times (a PEOPLE, not just local communities that existed everywhere in the Mediterranean) with the lack of any literary source (Hebraic as well as non-Hebraic) mentioning a large-scale MIGRATION of Hebraic people from its historical seat in the Eastern Mediterranean to the Iberian Peninsula (and also other neighbouring region, if I understand correctly your hypothesis about coins from Colonia Nemausus)? Also, as far as I remember Hebraic religion prohibits representation of human images. If these coins were produced by a Jewish people, sharing, I suppose, the same religion with the Hebrews in the Middle East, how do you explain the presence of human portraits on virtually EVERY coin that you consider to be produced by a Hebrew people? Please take into account that most likely the original Iberian alphabet is linked to the Punic one, since Punic presence in Iberia is very well documented long before these coins were reasonably produced. Punic means of Phoenician, i.e Semitic origin, so it is not strange that Iberian and Hebraic alphabets may share some similarity: they could have a close common origin. Apart from this, I am afraid the speculation about Iberian coins being really Hebraic coins is just that, your personal speculation. Could you possibly stop flooding the forum? Thanks.

P.  :)
Caminante, no hay camino
Se hace camino al andar

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2009, 08:46:39 am »
That's the beauty of it, its a conspiracy so there's no need for explanations.
I guess it's refreshing that for once the jews are not behind the conspiracy.
Andreas Reich

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • SUSPIRIUM PUELLAM GULIELMUS THRAEX!
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2009, 08:48:28 am »

Pseudo-academia at its best!

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2009, 09:14:35 am »
Antonio, You appear to have uploaded scans of text.  What is the publication and what is the date of the publication?  I suspect it is 19th century.  Many 19th century history texts relied on the Bible as the only completely accurate historical source.  Everything else was used merely as evidence for or to refine the history provided by the bible.  My suspicion is that it is an old reference that uses Iberian coins to provide evidence that Celts were a lost tribe of Hebrews.  This is, I think, a dated and inaccurate view.  The people you are calling Hebrews are probably the same people that more modern scholars would call Phoenicians. 

The idea may not be, however, not as completely absurd as it sounds.  There is evidence that a group of Palestinian people, who may have been Jews, were seafarers and warriors who sailed the Mediterranean and settled in unexpected places.  There was a recent History Channel show (an episode of Naked Archeology?) that covered this.  I believe the date was maybe 1400 - 800 B.C., but I really don't remember the details. 

But, I don't think Celts were Hebrews.  I imagine Celtic people as red-haired, blue skinned (painted), naked, large, fierce warriors, who worshipped nature gods and practiced human sacrifice.  If my imagination is even remotely close, they surely were not Hebrews. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Paleologo

• Consul
  • nulla die sine nummo.
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2009, 12:30:14 pm »
The idea may not be, however, not as completely absurd as it sounds.  There is evidence that a group of Palestinian people, who may have been Jews, were seafarers and warriors who sailed the Mediterranean and settled in unexpected places.  There was a recent History Channel show (an episode of Naked Archeology?) that covered this.  I believe the date was maybe 1400 - 800 B.C., but I really don't remember the details. 
Is this related to the "sea people" who appear at times in Egyptian, Cretan and Mycenean history? It would be definitely interesting to know more

naked
or possibly wearing striped trousers? Sorry, I couldn't resist  ;D
Caminante, no hay camino
Se hace camino al andar

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2009, 12:58:20 pm »
Is this related to the "sea people" who appear at times in Egyptian, Cretan and Mycenean history? It would be definitely interesting to know more

Yes. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2009, 04:43:44 pm »
People have 'found' the supposed lost tribes of Israel all over the place, so it could be someone trying to 'prove' that the Celts were one of these tribes. There used to be people (probably still are but I haven't heard of them in many years) calling themselves 'British Israelites' who were convinced that the English were the dexcendants of such a tribe.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity