Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Poll

Which coin do you prefer?

left coin
14 (43.8%)
right coin
18 (56.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: 2 Bolskan denarii, which one do you like more?  (Read 6194 times)

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re: 2 Bolskan denarii, which one do you like more?
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2009, 04:52:25 pm »
Is this related to the "sea people" who appear at times in Egyptian, Cretan and Mycenean history? It would be definitely interesting to know more

The Phoenicians, who settles along the south coast of Spain, were descended from the Canaanites, and were thus another West Semitic people. So that's another possibility. On a quick look, I can't see anything to suggest that the sea people settled in the western Mediterranean. That doesn't necessarily mean they weren't present though. Is there any archaeological evidence to suggest that they were?
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • SUSPIRIUM PUELLAM GULIELMUS THRAEX!
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2009, 05:08:22 pm »
Is this related to the "sea people" who appear at times in Egyptian, Cretan and Mycenean history? It would be definitely interesting to know more

The Phoenicians, who settles along the south coast of Spain, were descended from the Canaanites, and were thus another West Semitic people. So that's another possibility. On a quick look, I can't see anything to suggest that the sea people settled in the western Mediterranean. That doesn't necessarily mean they weren't present though. Is there any archaeological evidence to suggest that they were?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southeastern_Iberian_script

Suffice it to say, this script is derived from Phoenician, not Hebrew.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2009, 06:02:01 pm »
Suffice it to say, this script is derived from Phoenician, not Hebrew.

hat's what I suspected. It looks more like Runic than Hebrew!
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity