Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Provincial to Identify  (Read 595 times)

ed3719

Roman Provincial to Identify
« on: April 06, 2009, 12:23:47 pm »
Greetings all,

I am having some difficulty identifying this coin.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Edward

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Roman Provincial to Identify
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 01:37:11 pm »
I don't know how much help it is but the reverse is Marsyas, I guess the emperor's
Elagabal and it's from a colony but I don't know which one.

Andreas
Andreas Reich

ed3719

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 03:17:07 pm »
Thanks Andreas for the Marsyas info.  I am confused by the coin because I think it is Gallienus--the LIC and GA in Latin script, but there appears to be some Greek letters as well.  As for which colony it is from, I have no clue.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 03:35:21 pm »
I think it may be Parium, Lindgren lists a coin A280B in Lindgren II, with reverse legend COL G ... PAR,
for Valerian. You may also try Silenos instead of Marsyas, I'm not sure offhand if it's just another name or a different guy.

In another entry for the same city a Gallienus coin is noted with the garbled legend IMAVPLICINNGR, but I can't really make
sense out of your coin's legend.

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 03:39:55 pm »
I was about to post that it is Parium, COL G I H PAR. The legend stands for Colonia Gemella Iulia Hadriana Pariana. The reverse shows Marsyas, a common type for many Roman colonies.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

ed3719

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 03:54:19 pm »
Thank you both Andreas and Lars!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity