Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Another Ptolemaic Bronze Before and After  (Read 1497 times)

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
Another Ptolemaic Bronze Before and After
« on: April 02, 2009, 01:04:24 am »
When I first saw this coin I liked the patina and figured it might be a candidate for cleaning.  I eventually bought it and discovered what looked like a hard mineralized material filling in the details was actually a waxy flaky black grunge.  Painstaking mechanical cleaning led to the 'after' pics (which I shot).  Thanks to John Lavender for the 'before' double-sided pic.  Once the grunge was gently removed a lot of detail and relief emerged.  Underneath the black grunge was yellow/brown patina and I made no effort to go further fearing that might damage the original surfaces.  I'm happy with the result.

Let me know what you think.

It's AE34/33gm. 

PtolemAE

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: Another Ptolemaic Bronze Before and After
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 03:18:34 am »
That is LOVELY, imo.  Pat L.

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 04:17:37 am »
wow

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 09:09:28 am »
Fantastic, may I ask what tools and methods you used for the mech cleaning?

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 11:28:59 am »
Fantastic, may I ask what tools and methods you used for the mech cleaning?

Shawn

a very sharp tiny 'chisel' (made by sharpening a tiny flat-head jeweler's screwdriver and curving/sloping its blade a bit) which cracked the waxy stuff into flakes that mostly lifted away with a toothbrush.   in some flat areas a *very* gentle scraping of remaining waxy grunge.  in a few spots a sharpened stright-pin helped get into the grooves.  the real trick with any metal tools is avoiding any pressure on the coin surface itself - very very gentle to just remove hardened grunge.  all this done under 5X stereo microscope magnification - slowly.   time-consuming because the coin is fairly big (34mm) but slow and cautious is the real key.   a soft toothbrush with soap and water for final cleaning.

PtolemAE

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 11:42:21 am »
wow

thanks for your comments.  i am not a major coin cleaner - with all the soaking and waiting - so the few that i've cleaned were more direct projects like this one.  the coin had to be good to start with but its real beauty and relief were hiding under the black sludge that filled in so much of the detail areas.  it was lucky the dirt was 'waxy sludge' and required more time and care than tricks to remove it.  and i had to be willing to leave a tiny bit behind to avoid damaging the surfaces.  i also was surprised how much it improved the coin, though.  ididn't know how it would turn out and the result appears to be a big success.  thanks also to the stereo microscope :)  this is now one of my favorites.

PtolemAE

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 03:34:02 pm »
Nice!
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 04:22:36 pm »
Nice!

ha!  thanks, joe.  something tells me you've seen a *lot* of coins so the ones that 'pop' are probably even more fun for you.

PtolemAE

All coins are guaranteed for eternity