Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: AW on Yezdegard drachm  (Read 1804 times)

Offline Alwin

• Consul
    • parthika.fr
AW on Yezdegard drachm
« on: April 05, 2009, 10:00:31 am »
Hello all,
At the reverse of this drachm of Yezdegard I, I read to the right AW which can be Ahwaz (Khuzestan). Nevertheless this city had been founded by Ardashir I, who gave it the name of Hormizd-Ardashir. I am thus surprised finding letters AW, which correspond to the modern name AhWaz, and not letters which correspond to the name given by Ardashir. Can anybody explain that?
Always at the reverse, but at left, the letter seems to be "h", which is not a date ??
Thanks,
Alain

tkmallon

Re: AW on Yezdegard drachm
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 11:33:48 am »
Interesting coin. The signature AWH is known for both Varhran IV and Yazdgard I and is usually written at the top of the reverse.  From Sears' Monetary History of Iraq and Iran, 1997, page 102: "AWH almost certainly indicates the element Ohrmazd ... AW is likely a shorter form of this abbreviation." "The legend is well attested in the Khuzistan Hoard so that Hormazd-Ardashir (Ar. al-Ahwaz) is probable." tom

Offline Alwin

• Consul
    • parthika.fr
Re: AW on Yezdegard drachm
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 12:41:10 pm »
Thank you Tom. I can read rather easily my parthian coins, but my sassanian coins, that's a different kettle of fish (Harrap's shorter  ;D)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity