Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Romanus Miliaresion / Lead Seal  (Read 914 times)

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Romanus Miliaresion / Lead Seal
« on: March 31, 2009, 10:04:02 pm »
This lead seal just sold on German ebay for 63 Euros.  The pattern is a rare miliaresion of Romanus III.  Looks like a die match to this cast fake in the Fake Reports:

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Re: Romanus Miliaresion / Lead Seal
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 12:13:58 am »
Hmmm... interesting.
Something rather similar is discussed  on the Identification board. See:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=52438.0
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

gibfrog

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 09:17:23 am »
Maybe a partial die match.  The most obvious differences are the locations of some of the pearls in the middle ring.   Also some of the upper folds on the ?"Virgin's"? drapery.

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 09:44:26 pm »
Your eyes are better than mine.  I am not sure if it is just some optical illusion, but the emperor's head looks smaller on the lead piece than on the silver one.

What happens with a "partial" die match?  Do they change the pattern when they make the mold?

gibfrog

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 07:25:37 am »
I  would need to download the images, resize them and carefully compare them to determine the relatives sizes of the emperor's head, but the shape is different and so is the hair on the left side. IMO, These are not partial die matches, just a poor image of a very similar lead seal.

A partial die match can occur with re-engraved dies or altered molds.    I saw one with the exact same complete legend but different devices.  (In general, be very careful with matching legends because small fragments may create false matches.)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity