Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Badly decayed NERVA. 96-98 AD. Æ Sestertius?  (Read 526 times)

Offline simmurray

• Consul
Badly decayed NERVA. 96-98 AD. Æ Sestertius?
« on: March 16, 2009, 03:22:27 pm »
Just been sorting some of my coins out and trying to ID some of the more decayed ones and I think this may be a NERVA. 96-98 AD. Æ Sestertius in awful condition?

[DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

The coin is massive around 36mm diameter from what I can measure

I know this coin as seen better days

Steve

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Badly decayed NERVA. 96-98 AD. Æ Sestertius?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 04:25:13 pm »
Looks like it:

IMP NERVA CAES AVG P M TR P COS III P P

FISCI IVDAICI CALVMNIA SVBLATA SC

Jan-Sept 97 AD
SEAR 3044
RIC 82

Offline simmurray

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 04:32:17 pm »
Shame to see it in such a condition - I believe the coin itself was found in Norfolk, England and was actually found in the same area(finder says field) as this one was found:

Offline simmurray

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 06:17:50 am »
I could do with a tiny bit more advice; I can re-post in uncleaned if required but is there anything I can do to make these coins a bit crisper i.e. something to bring the images out a bit more; my feeling is normal cleaning methods would destroy them

Any help appreciated
Steve

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 12:41:08 pm »
I would not touch the coin by cleaning it; that would do more harm than good. If you are not sure about possible minerals further damaging the flakey remnant of the patina, I would soak it in distilled water for some days (refresh daily) and the dry well (hairdryer) and store. Nevertheless a nice find!

Frans

All coins are guaranteed for eternity