Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Latin trachy?  (Read 1173 times)

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Latin trachy?
« on: March 14, 2009, 01:48:53 am »
I am unable to attribute this clipped trachy. Actually do not think its a latin. But not sure.

about 15mm by 20mm

and another question I have the recent DOC vol 4 part two, with plates, how does one relate those plate numbers with sear? has any one ever put together cross reference. I have the old Hendy coinage and Money of the Byzantine empire on loan but not forever.

Wondering how people reference between Sear and the newer DOC

cordially

CW

Offline Orthodoxcoins

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • CREDENDO VIDIS !
    • http://www.orthodoxcoins.com/
Re: Latin trachy?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 04:41:08 am »
Hi CW,

It's a overstruck. The "first" coin is I think - Latin, Thessalonica, Type B, small module /S. 2048/. See the bigger rev. figure left and lorros end with big dots!
The "second"..... ?!?!?!?! Maybe Iohn Comnenis figure, smaller module....I don't know! :o
http://www.orthodoxcoins.com
Catalogue of the Late Byzantine Coins

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 06:14:40 pm »
I have seen the larger type before (offered by Tom Cederlind - it's probably still there, maybe listed under Nicea - see attached pic.). It has an odd looking B. Christ on the obverse and an emperor in a diamond panelled loros with large jewels on the reverse, holding a sceptre?  in his right hand and a gl. cr. in his left.
The small overstrike is in crude style and doesn't seem to be any official type I know.

Ross Glanfield

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 06:51:47 pm »
Actually Cederlind has his coin listed as a Latin type - he says S.2029 but probably means 2024, i.e, Hendy Type D.
It is basically similar to the Latin D but differs in detail - in fact it seems to be an imitation of the Latin Imitative type.
Incidentally, for the Latin types, Sear gives both the Hendy and DOC IV plate references, and includes the Hendy type in the Hendy plate references.

Ross G.

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 11:38:09 pm »
Thanks for the additional input about my trachy!. My question about DOC and sear was not so much about the latin series but when attributing lets say Alexious and Manuel peices. There are no DOC, just Hendy references. I only have the 2nd volume of the part 4 and was wondering does part one have any co-reference to what compares to Hendy or Sear?

Thanks

CW

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 05:49:17 pm »
I'm in the same position as you so I can't answer your question.
Actually, my main problem with DOC IV is connecting the coin descriptions with the plates, as, unlike in Hendy 1969, their are no direct references in the text to the plate numbers.

Ross G.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity