Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: IB with crescent-cross  (Read 710 times)

Offline Jim Roberts

• Consul
IB with crescent-cross
« on: March 14, 2009, 08:37:18 pm »
Just got my copy of "Arab-Byzantine Coins" by Clive Foss, and I'd highly recommend it.  One item not mentioned there is this odd 12 nummia coin with the horizontal bar of the cross apparently converted into a very broad and thin crescent.  Is this just a mis-striking of some sort, or is it perhaps an interesting variant?

Foss mentions one type that I hadn't seen before, the so-called "lazy B" (based on the pretzel-like object above the "m" on the reverse).  On my specimen the emperor's portrait has a very large and anomalous headpiece, so I had assumed that we were dealing with turbans on both sides of the coin (replacing the cross over the head and also the cross above the "m").  But apparently it's just a horizontal "B"??

One final request:  How does one identify the so-called "oriens" coinage struck in Syria in the name of Justin II, Maurice, Focas and Heraclius during the Persian occupation?  Is there something specific to look for?  Does somebody have pictures of these coins?  Thanks a lot!

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
Re: IB with crescent-cross
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 04:27:53 am »
Dear Jim

Have you ever seen Tiberius II Constantine wearing a turban?
Here you go...
Thomas

Offline Jim Roberts

• Consul
Re: IB with crescent-cross
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 03:46:09 pm »
Thomas,
Nope, never seen that one!  Beautiful coins, both of them, and I'm surprised there's such a difference in style.
- Jim

All coins are guaranteed for eternity