Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unflattering Nero Denarius OTD  (Read 1394 times)

Offline ancientdave

• Caesar
Unflattering Nero Denarius OTD
« on: March 05, 2009, 08:06:59 pm »
Here is a coin that I have had for a long time, but just finally got around to adding to my gallery. I have always found the portrait to be fascinating, to my eyes it seems quite unflattering.

Offline SVLLAIMP

• Consul
Re: Unflattering Nero Denarius OTD
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 09:04:28 pm »
He does look exceptionally obese.

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 09:18:05 pm »
I don't mean this politically, but he does look rather like a U.S. radio talk show host...
Pat L.

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 09:39:21 pm »
Yeah, Pat, I agree.

Nice coin AncientDave! Ole' Nero looks to be the very definition of excess in that portrait.

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Vitruvius

• Consul
  • Learn from the past to build our future.
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 09:56:55 pm »
Very good observation, Slokind.  The only difference I see is that this portrait portrays Nero with his mouth CLOSED, which is rarely ever seen on that talk show host...plus I'm sure Nero was much more patriotic than that host ever dreamed to be!  ;)

All political inclinations aside.  :)

njegos

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 04:55:12 pm »
He does look like Madeline Albright in the best days

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 05:08:39 pm »
Nor did I mean to single out Nero with especial unkindness.  Apart from (it has been said) hormonal imbalances in some persons, excesses of life style have their effects.  I might just as well have singled out poor Elvis in his last phase.  I don't see similar structures in Madeleine Albright's face.  If a female choice must be made, the late coins of Queen Victoria would be a better comparandum.  Still, not very good; you want a short nose as well as small, close-set eyes to compare.
Besides, it was only a passing allusion, merely to a face I'd seen on the television screen not 15 minutes earlier.
Pat L.

napki

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 05:52:10 pm »
Besides, it was only a passing allusion, merely to a face I'd seen on the television screen not 15 minutes earlier.
Pat L.

I hear somewhere that Nero once offend citizens with public statement "I hope Galba fails", explaining later (as he hear hooves approach) that he refer of course only to policy of Galba, not that he want whole empire to fail!  ;D

Also worth noting more "on topic": it not necessary to flatter megalomaniac - he certainly will consider his hideous self the essence of beauty...

Offline snorkelpaleis

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 09:54:41 pm »
nice coin! I still have to find a decent nero denarius to add to my collection
Carpe narem

All coins are guaranteed for eternity