Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Happy American Pilgrims' Thanksgiving Day  (Read 1062 times)

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Happy American Pilgrims' Thanksgiving Day
« on: November 26, 2009, 01:17:51 am »
To wish all of you a Happy Thanksgiving (U.S. Harvest Festival) on Thursday.
The Greeks didn't have turkeys, but a large cock, not too old, is just as good.
Pat L.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re: Happy American Pilgrims' Thanksgiving Day
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 03:47:37 pm »
A cock great bustard would replace the turkey nicely, though it's probably heresy to say so these days. They've recently been reintroduced to Salisbury Plain, but I don't know whether they go as far south as Greece.

http://www.greatbustard.com/identification.html
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: Happy American Pilgrims' Thanksgiving Day
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 04:40:45 pm »
The bustard is beautiful.  I never saw one (unless I overlooked it in one zoo or another).  The largest tom turkeys are not much bigger than 20 kilos.  As for roosters, I'm not sure.  They can be quite large, but by no means so heavy as bustards.  Since they're also lean, I'd guess no more than 4 kilos, and that would be for the full-size breeds.
The old drawing I posted comes from Délos X, which is a century old.  The vase it comes from dated from the very beginning of the 6th c. BCE.  The decorators loved doing cocks; there are hundreds and hundreds known.
Pat L.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity