Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Sestertius repatination  (Read 2095 times)

Offline Minos

• Caesar
Sestertius repatination
« on: February 10, 2009, 04:29:55 pm »
I have a sestertius that would need a repatination, never done this and I'm not too sure if I should even try. I read on this board about the different products sold but also about the vaseline/sulfur mix suggested by Salem, wich seems to be a good idea and quite easely realisable. Don't know if someone would have before/after pics of this (or just after) ? Should I stick to the commercial stuff ?

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Sestertius repatination
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 04:53:33 pm »
since every coin is different, with regards to patina,  can you post a pic of both sides of the coin,  ?  this would really help the folks here see what you're dealing with

as far as what to get,  LOL  myself being lazy, bought a product called dellars wich is a "  vaseline  and sulphur " mix.  YEP  I'm too lazy to mix it myself  :(

there is also a product called  Jax and come in 4 " tints " and is a VERY fast acting liquid

here is another discussion that was had about these products,

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=46881.0

AS I said before, and as you can read in the attached post,  every coin is different  so pics would be great

Offline Minos

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 05:02:58 pm »
Hi Johnny, thanks for your reply, pics of the coin below. What I'm afraid of is "scraping" the coin. Is the repatination process reversable if I'm not satisfied with the result ?

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 05:25:14 pm »
If I can be 100% honest,  I would leave the coin as is, The coin has a beautiful obverse and reverse, but is slightly porous and I don't think that repatination would greatly improve the look 

both processes are reversible. Actually  dellars is fairly more difficult to remove than Jax but  can be done ,  but involve   (  my easiest way ) a dremel  and brass bush under running  water,  and scrapping between the letters.  this gets more difficult with porus coins.

in your case  (  and this is only an opinion ) if you do decide to repatinate the coin,  I would use Dellars

but as I said,  your coin is beautiful the way it is and I would leave it.  but I am curious to hear the comments of others on this one

in the end,  it's your coin,  and only you can decide what course of action to take.

P.S.  If possible,  play with jax  and dellars on junk coins before attempting the sestertius to see how it works  and reacts,

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 05:32:29 pm »
In the image, the coin appears nicely toned already, the kind of result you might expect to achieve with a sulphur paste!

I wouldn't try a Jax patina.  It would probably look artificial and not cover the pitting on the rev., which is the only real problem with this quite nice sestertius!
Curtis Clay

gavignano

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 05:52:34 pm »
I'd also leave as is, the obverse is very nice. If you use Dellar's I have got it off just like Johnny said, and I think it would come off nicely on the obverse (not that it needs it). On the reverse, I think it might make it look a bit oddly and evenly dark, and be a little harder to get off in the crevices of the central portion.

Offline Minos

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 06:05:16 pm »
Thanks all, I think I will follow the consensus and leave it as it is for now, maybe eventually try some of the commercial products on lower quality coins to give me an idea of how it would turn out. The coin in hand is a bit shinier (metallic) than the pics suggests, had a hard time getting a quality pic of the reverse for that reason, too reflective (still trying to improve).

Offline larry c

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 06:56:06 pm »
I have to agree with the previous post, I have use many of these products
but they are hit & miss due to metal content.
That's a nice coin, if your not in a hurry, I would place it on a plate
outside in the elements turning often. Summers coming and natural toning is so much nicer to the eye, hot sun and natural ozone will do the job over time. Greeks tend to tone faster( no silver content) but this will age nicely!
“Do you have the patience to do nothing"

Offline Minos

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 07:52:33 pm »
That sound like a very good idea Larry, will try that (if the summer finally gets here :)), thanks!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity