Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Annona's Statuette  (Read 858 times)

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Annona's Statuette
« on: February 01, 2009, 03:25:27 pm »
A friend of mine has this attractive, if not in great nick, sestertius of Titus.  RIC 86 in the old volume.

It would be nice if someone could give her the new RIC number - but that's not my real reason for posting.  

Searching around for other examples, I came across this reprise of the type for Commodus:
[DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]
Now here, it seems, the figure is identified as Concordia.  But that doesn't look like Concordia to me. Surely this too is Aequitas?

Steve

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Annona's Statuette
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 05:22:14 pm »
Hi,

this coin is RIC 137 in the new edition; interestingly the coin has no SC, RIC 138 with SC in ex. is known from one specimen only. RIC 136 would be the same type as this one, but with bust right.
The statuette is called Aequitas there; the RIC plate also shoe the figure clearly holding scales.

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Annona's Statuette
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 04:56:04 pm »
Thanks Rupert, I will pass on the new RIC number.

Any other opinions on the identity of the statuette on the Commodus type?

Steve

All coins are guaranteed for eternity