Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New coins...  (Read 30740 times)

Offline rover1.3

• Tribunus Plebis 2012 / Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: New coins...
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2011, 05:29:46 am »
Well done Peter, i love your new didrachm. Plenty of good detail both sides, and it looks nicely toned also.
Well worth the wait i think, this along with the Demeter stater from Metapontion are coins of yours i like very much.

Online Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2011, 05:10:32 pm »
thank you Lloyd and Nick, high praise indeed coming from you two!  :)

i was hoping for something in a bit nicer grade, but these don't come along that often, and when i saw a similar one (albeit a bit nicer) go for $12,500 at CNG i thought i'd better pull the trigger.
i've been wanting an earlier heavy peice for some time, and this one has such a dynamic obverse that i couldn't resist.
now to find the coin which helps me tell the next part of the story!  ;)

Online Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
New things and old stuff
« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2011, 03:22:26 am »
i've added a few things over the past few months that weren't really worth mentioning (other than my latest didrachm), so i haven't.
until now.
one is a coin i used to have posted but removed (Katane) because it's probably the ugliest Greek coin i own. the other is a cast relica of a Kimon dekadrachm, a pretty good rendition i think and probably the closest i'll ever come to an original.

but the latest addition is from my wife's collection of antiquites.
this was purchased by me about ten weeks ago to be her Christmas present. it arrived today.
her birthday has come and gone since then, but we're just glad it's finally here!

have a browse...   :)
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=21312

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2011, 02:53:47 pm »
Thats very cool!

Online Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2011, 04:51:40 pm »
thanks Randy!

it's a tad smaller than i was expecting, which is just fine, and so very very delicate. it always amazes me how these pieces could have survived all those centuries and still remain intact (not to mention 10 weeks in the hands of the postal service!).

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-64701

~ Peter

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2011, 04:57:57 pm »
thanks Randy!

it's a tad smaller than i was expecting, which is just fine, and so very very delicate. it always amazes me how these pieces could have survived all those centuries and still remain intact (not to mention 10 weeks in the hands of the postal service!). https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-64701

~ Peter

A true miricle  ;D I have a coin the usps broke en route and its still falling apart lol

Online Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2011, 05:09:23 pm »
I have a coin the usps broke en route and its still falling apart lol

now THAT is scary.
man, i'm really glad you didn't tell me this before i received the bottle!

~ Peter

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2011, 08:02:11 pm »
Thats a nifty little bottle. :) I got one a few years back that I need to photo I guess. Now...what are you gonna do with it? Do you have a display case or somthing similar for artifacts?

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Online Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2011, 09:08:04 pm »
Now...what are you gonna do with it? Do you have a display case or somthing similar for artifacts?

yeah, my wife has a nice curio cabinet i got her some years back to house her perfume bottle collection, and that's where her ancient bottles are kept. they are segrated by type... art deco on this shelf, nouveau on that one. in fact one of the criteria i followed while looking for this bottle was that it had to make a nice display with the others, and it does i think.
i've still never been able to find a nice display stand for the tall skinny one, but i'm thinking about making an oak base which will hold all three securely.
some day... some day...

in the mean time we look forward to seeing a picture of yours. how do you display it?  :)

~ Peter

Offline Noah

• Caesar
  • Viva Brasil! Pátria Amada!!
« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2011, 09:31:51 pm »
That is a splendid bottle!  I have actually begun to upload artifacts into a folder in my gallery.  I am glad, Peter, that you are doing the same.  Although I do primarily collect imperial coinage, I do enjoy viewing artifacts members upload.  As for diplaying artifacts at home...I don't!  Being that I have a 4,3, AND 1 year old at home, anything worth anything is hidden, stored, or put out of reach.  My youngest decided he wanted to put hotwheels and matchbox cars in the dishwasher.  To add insult to injury, my oldest turned it on; I didn't find out until the cycle was complete.  I'd hate to see what they'd do to your beautiful glass bottle Peter;D

Best, Noah

Online Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2011, 05:22:41 am »
... and i am enjoying your antiquities gallery very much Noah!

last week i was finishing off a roll of film and thought i'd try to capture a small Greco-Roman terracotta statue of Harpocrates (circa 1st century AD) which has eluded my gallery for some time. i'm still not particularly happy with the result so i won't be uploading it there, but i'll put it here just because i'm bored.
and i also got a somewhat blurry shot of my wife's perfume bottle cabinet (just the ancient part), so that's showing here too.
enjoy!

~ Peter

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2011, 01:23:27 pm »
That looks cool, hope you can get a nice shot of it.

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2011, 01:47:54 pm »
Now...what are you gonna do with it? Do you have in the mean time we look forward to seeing a picture of yours. how do you display it?  :)

~ Peter

lol...it's in a wooden box that I keep all of my ancient oddities...roman jewelery, byzantine crosses, a nifty carved bone crucifix...well the cross was probably wood, as it is no longer there, and the iron nails in his hands and feet are rusted away, but it is still neat. I have been contemplating building a corner curio as a summer project...we shall see.

Chris

Online Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Stray cat...
« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2011, 04:29:22 pm »
this poor little coin has seen better days, but it has a good home now.   :)
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-66609

as usual it looks better in hand, with the tiny portrait of Herakles more prominent than the picture shows. and being somewhat scarce it fills a need in my Magna Graecia gallery.
but what really makes this coin special is the fact that it was a gift from a friend (a true soul brother if you will), and the reason it was given. for that reason it now takes an honored place in my collection. so take a look, leave a comment if you like, and feel free to browse the rest of the Gallery too.

gratefully,
~ Peter

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2011, 05:57:27 pm »
I love coins with meaning! Nice one. :)

Chris

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2011, 06:46:50 pm »
Was on my wishlist   ;D but has a better home now.

Online Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2011, 03:19:49 pm »
thanks guys!   8)

Online Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2011, 07:07:45 pm »
i just picked up this little Tarentine bronze.

i normally don't go in much for bronze coins, especially in this low grade. but my budget is really tight right now, and considering the market rarity of bronze coins from Taras in any grade (and the ridiculous prices commanded by really nice ones!), i thought i would grab this one while i can.
besides, it fills an empty area in my Taras collection:)

AE15 - 3rd century BC
Scallop shell.
Taras riding dolphin left.

~ Peter

Offline Matt Inglima

• Caesar
  • Quid, me anxius sum?
« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2011, 11:15:07 am »
Congratulations on your latest acquisition, it's a wonderful coin.  My compliments on a well executed and fascinating gallery!   :)

Online Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2011, 03:14:35 pm »
that's very kind SPQR, thank you!   :)

~ Peter

Online Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2011, 06:37:26 pm »
well it arrived today, and i must say that (wait for it!)... "it looks much better in hand".   ;)

researching this series has been enlightening for me, if only because there is so little specific information regarding Tarentine bronze coins. and yet i found that in itself somewhat revealing.
so i have decided i like this coin more for what it doesn't say than for what the experts can report, and to me that silence speaks volumes to my further understanding of this series, much moreso than its grade or artistic rendering. i am surprisingly pleased.  :)

you can find more information (but not much more) here...
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-67307

thanks for looking,
~ Peter

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2011, 09:15:42 pm »
Good one! Going down my path eh!

Chris

Online Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2011, 09:36:18 pm »
Good one! Going down my path eh!

nah, just slummin'.   ;D
seriously, if i could do as well as you have i might consider keeping to a lower budget. this one just happened to fill a need at the right price. but it will also be my last coin for awhile, unless i hit the Lotto!

and thanks to all for the comments (rover's got me hungry!  :)   )

~ Peter

Online Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Lovely Taras by the Sea...
« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2011, 05:35:35 pm »
it seems i've got my computer back up and running (although barely!  :(  ) just in time to post my newest coin, a silver hemilitron from Taras.

man, this thing is tiny. 7mm and only .25g, one good sneeze and it'd be gone forever! or, as the Maitre'D said to Mr. Creosote... "it's wafer thin!"
it amazes me thinking about how these were produced. they must've used a very tiny hammer, otherwise i can see the metal being pulverised into little more than a silver stain.

anyway, it is a nice little coin with a scallop shell on the obverse and dolphin swimming right on the reverse.
the reverse symbol is something of a mystery though. the dealer described it as an "unknown monogram", but it looked more like a tripod to me, a common enough device on this series. however in hand i'm not so sure. the tripod does appear on the full litras of Taras, but they look a bit different. if anyone can suggest an alternative i am open to suggestion.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-69529

~ Peter

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2011, 08:09:53 pm »
Thats a great little coin :)  Glad you got your computer back up and hope it keeps working. I'm imagining  someone using a tiny hammer to makes these now  ;D  ;D ;D ;D

All coins are guaranteed for eternity