Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New coins...  (Read 30753 times)

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Re: New coins...
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2009, 11:47:30 am »
I'd have to agree with Johnny, the dolphin rider is fantastic!

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2009, 04:57:56 pm »
well it seems that i might be back. computers are evil, evil, evil, but i think i may have gone over to the dark side (at least i have dabbled in the darkness of my system files and may have fixed the problem).
so my fingers are crossed!

i bought a new diobol from Taras last week, and will post a picture as soon as i can... Athena left/Herakles and the Nemean lion.
the condition is not as as good as i would like, but it is an interesting type and it was cheap. also, it is from the Colin E. Pitchfork collection and i have been wanting to get a piece of his.

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2009, 04:41:38 pm »
I'd have to agree with Johnny, the dolphin rider is fantastic!

Chris
thank you Chris. i think it makes a nice pair with my other Taras didrachm; the one from the era of Pyrrhus, the other from the brief peace thereafter... quite a different dynamic on both, i think, with the earlier coin seeming much more agressive in both style and theme.

i just added my new diobol with the left-facing Athena. hope you all like it!   :)

~ Peter

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2009, 09:21:08 pm »
Welcome back

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2009, 11:00:55 am »
i bought a new diobol from Taras last week, and will post a picture as soon as i can... Athena left/Herakles and the Nemean lion.
the condition is not as as good as i would like, but it is an interesting type and it was cheap. also, it is from the Colin E. Pitchfork collection and i have been wanting to get a piece of his.

Nice.  I've noticed that lots of Pitchfork coins have been auctioned over the last several months.  I also picked up a similar Taras diobol a while back.  It really is a nice type.  Yours is a pleasing coin.  Congrats.  I also love you dolphin rider.

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2009, 04:07:54 pm »
thank you Titus Pullo. i was only gone a month or so, but it felt like forever!

Dino, your coin is a beautiful example of the type, and a nice addition to your (or any) collection. your Athena portrait is quite lovely, the style being reminiscent of Demeter from the type C didrachms of Metapontum... congratulations!

~ Peter

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2009, 09:29:22 pm »
no new coin to announce today, unfortunately.
however i did list an existing coin in the Best of Type gallery...
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-50132

i've been hesitant to do this, as it strikes me somewhat of "blowing my on horn", so to speak. however i have rarely seen a nicer one, so what the heck.

~ Peter

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2009, 04:23:19 pm »
the mail arrived today bringing an early Yule present from my dog 'Liebe'!

it is an AE17 of Hekate from Stratonikeia in Caria. and while it is of a much lower grade than i would normally collect i understand that as a dog she is very loving, but doesn't possess a very developed sense of the aesthetic.
however i love it all the more because it is from her, and i do have an interest in Hekate (a dog lover Herself!   ;)   ).

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=21312&pos=0

~ Peter

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2009, 02:13:01 pm »
nothing new recently, but i did get a new(er) scanner for Christmas so i will be re-doing some of my lower grade images. i'm starting with the Republicans, and hopefully these will be of a much better quality.

~ Peter

Offline rennrad12020

• Caesar
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2009, 11:26:59 pm »
Hi Peter,

Great quality on your scans!  Much better than mine! I particularly like the obverse of your Flaminia 1; Roma has an intense hungry look about her.

JPW

Offline Noah

• Caesar
  • Viva Brasil! Pátria Amada!!
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2009, 11:57:34 pm »
Peter, I browsed your gallery again and must say that I had forgotten how many nice specimens you actually have!  I have three in particular that I especially am fond of.  I guess you will have to search the comments to find out which ones... One I commented on over a year ago.  The other two I commented on today...happy hunting!  ;) 

P.S.  How is the weather up there in Oregon?  I really miss living there...it was beautiful.  :'(

Best, Noah

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2009, 05:10:09 am »
Hi Peter,

Great quality on your scans!  Much better than mine! I particularly like the obverse of your Flaminia 1; Roma has an intense hungry look about her.

JPW
thank you Petrus.
i am still just finding my way with this new scanner, but the possibilities are already greater than what i was using.

Quote from: Noah
Peter, I browsed your gallery again and must say that I had forgotten how many nice specimens you actually have!  I have three in particular that I especially am fond of.  I guess you will have to search the comments to find out which ones... One I commented on over a year ago.  The other two I commented on today...happy hunting!   

P.S.  How is the weather up there in Oregon?  I really miss living there...it was beautiful. 

Best, Noah
hi Noah!
thank you for all the wonderful new comments my friend. and yes i remember you commenting on my Ephesian bee, but i had to look it up to remember when... that was some time ago.

the weather has been mild here this past few weeks, high 20's - low 30's mostly. but three weeks ago we had a stretch where it never got out of single digits!
i believe you used to live in the West Hills of Portland, didn't you? we just had Christmas dinner there.  :)

~ Peter

Offline Noah

• Caesar
  • Viva Brasil! Pátria Amada!!
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2009, 07:40:20 am »
Yes, I lived in the West Hills, Barnes Road, to be specific.  Even the single digits, winter there is much more enjoyable than a dreary Kentucky winter.  Also, the summers are to die for up there!   :afro:

Best, Noah

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2009, 06:04:02 pm »
well you'd love it today Noah, as the first snow of the season just started about an hour ago (and quite unexpectedly)... absolutely beautiful!

i'm still updating my scans, continuing with my Roman collection. damn i wish the comments didn't poof away when the images are changed, as there are some really grainy pictures i am loath to change.

~ Peter

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2010, 08:12:17 pm »
*bump*

nothing new to add today (although soon, i hope!), but i am still replacing some of my older grainy images with newer and i hope better scans.
the first one up is a Euboean drachm i bought last year at The Money Show in Portland.

~ Peter

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2010, 03:17:23 pm »
cant wait to see the new scans :)

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2010, 03:41:03 pm »
thanks Randy, but now that i have two of them uploaded i've decided that i'm still not happy with them, so i think i'll wait awhile and experiment a bit further.
a few of the scans came out really well (compare the image below with the link from my gallery...  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-42523 ), but they are of coins that already have multiple comments, so i hesitate to change the images. still, as a friend here at Forvm recently told me, "i collect coins, not comments", so i'll probably go ahead and ax them eventully.
*sigh*

~ Peter

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2010, 03:53:13 pm »
I know exactly how you feel.  It appears some are stingy when it comes to leaving comments a second time! :laugh: The funniest is when a bad picture gets a higher rating then the new better picture!

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2010, 05:28:40 pm »
Finally!

i was finally able to get something interesting for my collection. it is a Tarantine fraction from the 3rd century BC, but the cool part is the provenance. this coin comes from the collection of M.P Vlasto himself, and is considered rare, which it probably is since i cannot find another like it listed anywhere.

it isn't up at my gallery yet, but here's a preview...

~ Peter

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2010, 05:39:38 pm »
There was one on Ebay recently but I don't have the link.
Andreas Reich

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2010, 05:49:53 pm »
Finally!

i was finally able to get something interesting for my collection. it is a Tarantine fraction from the 3rd century BC, but the cool part is the provenance. this coin comes from the collection of M.P Vlasto himself, and is considered rare, which it probably is since i cannot find another like it listed anywhere.

it isn't up at my gallery yet, but here's a preview...

~ Peter

Similar to my one:

Taras / Tarentum in Calabria, 302-235 BC.,
AR Obol (8-10 mm / 0.43 g),
Obv.: Kantharos surrounded by (five ?) dots.
Rev.: Kantharos surrounded by (five ?) dots, Kerykeion in field l.
Vlasto cf. 1656 .

rgds.

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2010, 10:10:04 pm »
thanks guys.

yes, there are similar obols. in fact it is a rather common type. but this one, Vlasto 1661, with the bunch of grapes is hard to find (at least i haven't found one yet).
i found something similar in Cote, but the description (as far as my terrible French can make out) says that it is a fly, although it doesn't really look like a fly. this is coin is rather obviously not a fly.

~ Peter

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2010, 08:29:29 am »
That's a very nice little obol, Peter.  I never cease to be amazed at the detail on such small coins.  Many times the larger pictures we post here just don't do the coin justice when you hold it in hand. 

And congrats on the provenance as well.  That's pretty exciting.  I know there's an additional little rush to be able to know the more recent history of these coins.  I have a few Achaian League coins that appear in one of the BDC catalogs or in Benner.  It's pretty cool to be able to see your coin in a book.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2010, 09:25:08 am »
Yes, it's a nice coin, I wanted the one I saw as well but it didn't happen.
Andreas Reich

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2010, 11:16:14 pm »
they're out there Andreas, but you have to shop around. i've seen them from $50 - $200+, with the dealer's name seemingly carrying more weight than grade.

That's a very nice little obol, Peter.  I never cease to be amazed at the detail on such small coins.  Many times the larger pictures we post here just don't do the coin justice when you hold it in hand. 

And congrats on the provenance as well.  That's pretty exciting.  I know there's an additional little rush to be able to know the more recent history of these coins.  I have a few Achaian League coins that appear in one of the BDC catalogs or in Benner.  It's pretty cool to be able to see your coin in a book.

thanks Dino. yeah i thought it was pretty exciting to grab something from Vlasto's own collection for what i consider a pretty good price. i had actually been tracking this coin for almost a year, but the dollar was dying against the British pound. that has changed somewhat recently, plus i contacted the dealer and he was very gracious about knocking the price down a bit. but i almost didn't pull the trigger because i was holding out for something 'sexier', a nice didrachm or such. i finally figured i would regret losing it (as i have a few coins lately!), so it is now mine and i am very happy.   :)

these little fractions really are quite amazing, and i have to wonder if they required a smaller hammer as well as a softer blow. i mean some of them out there are .25g or less, and i keep imagining them dissolving under the blow like so much foil!

~ Peter

All coins are guaranteed for eternity