Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help, can't make out this visable legend. Hadrian????  (Read 565 times)

Offline Dk0311USMC

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • My gallery
Help, can't make out this visable legend. Hadrian????
« on: January 18, 2009, 08:58:06 pm »
Hello, I am still kind of new collecting Roman coins, but this coin is the only one I truly have been stuck on and can't identify who it is.   I don't know what the exact size is, but it is pretty small (a bit smaller than a dime)  The letters aren't too obscured, but it is still difficult to make out with any clarity.  I have tried searching through hoards of coin bust portraits to find a match and searching all the names I can think of to match.  The closest name I could come up with is Hadrian, but I don't believe it is of him.   At this point the only thing I think I can make out with confidence is that it ends in IASVS.  The letter before the I is a complete mystery to me because it looks like it bridges over to the left forming another letter.  I thought at an off chance if it were Hadrian, the mystery letter would be R then IANVS.  If anyone can identify it thank you in advance.  Also the Reverse on this coin isn't much Help.  I am wondering if this coin was actually much bigger and there was also writing on the right side of the bust.
Danny

Offline Tiberiusjulius

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
Re: Help, can't make out this visable legend. Hadrian????
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 09:35:22 pm »
Welcome to Forum!I highly doubt it is Hadrian,more likely late empire. There was righting on the right of the bust,and might have been a little bit bigger. Reverse maybe two victories each holding wreath,or Gloria Exertivs two soldiers with standard between. Maybe Arcadius
P.S. You will love this hobby!

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 09:38:57 pm »
... IVLIANVS is my reading.  Julian II.

I'm not 100% certain though, but it is consistent with the bare head as he was at one stage Caesar but not Augustus.

Steve

Offline Dk0311USMC

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 09:47:56 pm »
Thanks for the help so far.  Ill look into those suggestions tomorrow to try and find a similar coin.

Offline Tiberiusjulius

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 09:54:38 pm »
You are not likely going to find your exact coin without knowing the mintmark. Here is the type of Bust Steve is talking about,as well as the Gloria Exertivs type I was talking about. I would highly recommend looking here for any coins you may find,these are very,very useful excel files,and will help identify any of your Late Roman Coinshttp://www.catbikes.ch/coinstuff/coins-ric.htm

All coins are guaranteed for eternity