Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Is This a Coin of Amphipolis or Thessalonika?  (Read 511 times)

Offline museumguy

• Caesar
  • I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.
Is This a Coin of Amphipolis or Thessalonika?
« on: January 10, 2009, 08:55:25 pm »
I purchased this coin which I think was misattributed as a coin of Thessalonika with a portrait of Demeter on the obverse and to goats facing each other on the reverse.  In doing some investigation the only coins from Thessalonika with goats on the reverse show either Zeus or Janus on the obverse, not Demeter.  I did find on FORVM a coin from Amphipolis showing the goats but Artemis Tauropolis on the obverse.  This looks a bit more like my coin but mine still seems quite a bit different, especially the pronounced proboscis (nose), which sort of attracted me to this coin in the first place.  Any thoughts.  The coin is 6.2 grams, AE 23, which is right in the ballpark.  Thanks.

Steve

Offline museumguy

• Caesar
Re: Is This a Coin of Amphipolis or Thessalonika?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 01:13:33 pm »
Haven't heard from anybody about this coin yet.  Is there somebody out there that can help me with this?? 

Steve

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 02:18:26 pm »
I have this one in my gallery,

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1628&pos=1

I THINK it's the same coin.  but it should help you narrow it down if it's not

cheers

David S4

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 02:24:28 pm »
Seems like johnny got it nailed only yours is a bit older due to the archaic style of the bust - sweet coin by the way
David S4

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 06:56:33 pm »
I forgot to add,  the coin was purchased from Forvm, and the  attribution is also from Forvm, so it is accurate.  and not one of my guesses  :)

Offline museumguy

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 07:12:53 pm »
Thanks guys!  Johnny, thats about as close as I've seen, and as David says mine (portrait) looks a bit more crude or Archaic.  The reverse is a bit of a mess but, yes David, I agree, it is a cool coin.  I was amazed that I was able to pick it off Ebay for under $10.  Again, thanks!!

Steve

All coins are guaranteed for eternity