Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman? 14 mm diameter, no legends, head obverse, symbol reverse  (Read 436 times)

David T2

Roman? 14 mm diameter, no legends, head obverse, symbol reverse
« on: January 02, 2009, 04:04:39 pm »
Greetings.  New here, and to the hobby, and enjoy the site very much.  Very informative.  Can someone point me in the right direction with id'ing this coin? Its 14mm in diameter, head obverse, symbol reverse, no legends and appears to be made of different metals. I have searched quite a bit and cant find it? Thanks for your help

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Roman? 14 mm diameter, no legends, head obverse, symbol reverse
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 04:37:47 pm »
Hi David and welcome.
Do you have a larger picture?
I can't make out much, except that it is Greek rather than Roman.
I have no idea what's on the reverse. Ancient coins were made out of metals that were less pure
than they are now and sometimes they are not patinated evenly or corroded, that might explain why it seems
to you that it was made from different metals. Apart from a few large bimetallic medallions that is not so.

Andreas
Andreas Reich

David T2

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 05:02:05 pm »
Thanks Andreas! Here are a couple more pictures.

David T2

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 12:10:18 pm »
No ideas anyone?  This is going to bug me now! 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity