Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Zangids of Mosul, Sayf al-Din Ghazi ibn Modud?  (Read 2074 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Zangids of Mosul, Sayf al-Din Ghazi ibn Modud?
« on: December 28, 2008, 07:24:56 pm »

This is what I think it is:

Zangids of Mosul, Sayf al-Din Ghazi ibn Modud
Obverse: Hellenistic head left wearing crested helmet; the Kalima in Kufic around
Reverse: Kufic four-line legend of Caliph Al Mustansir and Ghazi, surrounded by a circular legend with the mint and date
Nisibin mint
575 A.H.
Mitchiner 1123

I believe it is at least scarce, probably rare.

Do I have it right?  (odds seem slim. :) )

Retail value?
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
Re: Zangids of Mosul, Sayf al-Din Ghazi ibn Modud?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 11:32:39 am »
I will probably be corrected by the experts but to me it looks like Album 1863.1
AE Dirham of 'Izz al-Din Mas'ud I, 576-589/1180-1193
minted al-Jazira in 577 only. Rated "R"
For an example see:
http://medievalcoins.ancients.info/cgi-bin/webdata_coinbase.pl?fid=1134082145.022&query=%26Ruler%3DIzz%2Bal-Din%2BMas%2527ud%2BI%2Bbin%2BMawdud%26pagenum%3D1%26cgifunction%3DSearch&cgifunction=form

I have a different Zangid type which is in better condition but rated "C" for which I paid £35, if that is any help.

Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 12:25:41 pm »
I also thought it might be that coin but the Mitchiner plate coins are not great.  Since I cannot read the script, I can only try to match as close as possible.  From the online photo, I agree it is Album 1863.1. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

napki

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 12:34:45 pm »
Partial date X77 visible in reverse margin so PeterD likely correct. I not have catalogues with me on beautiful sunny beach  ;D for complete ID.  Fair retail value maybe US$75-$100 because it not that pretty example.

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 12:51:42 am »
I paid $47 for my example of this coin about two years ago.  It is slightly better than your coin.

Offline Constantine IV

• Caesar
  • Constantine IV
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 11:40:19 am »
I was wondering...
Did the Zangids and Artuqids actually mint coins with 'classical' images in them, or did they use coins found in hoards and then restrike them?
"He who gives himself airs of importance, exhibits the credentials of impotence". ~ Decimus Laberius, 46 BCE

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 01:04:48 am »
They minted the coins with the designs on them.  They are called Islamic Figural Bronzes.  Also the Begteginids, Seljuqs of Rum, Ayyubids, and Lu'lu'id of Mosul issued figural bronzes too. 

I have over 90 of these in my collection.  Some are very rare and many are copies of ones I already own.

napki

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 10:08:44 am »
I was wondering...
Did the Zangids and Artuqids actually mint coins with 'classical' images in them, or did they use coins found in hoards and then restrike them?
Turk peoples copy classical coins when they begin to make coins of themselves - Seleukid, Imperial, Provincial, Byzantine. In many cases can find specific match. Quran bans "graven image" but Turks at that time really only thin paper of Islam over ancient steppe culture. Is also possible they employ Nestorian Christians as die engravers.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity