Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: Zangids of Mosul, Sayf al-Din Ghazi ibn Modud? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Zangids of Mosul, Sayf al-Din Ghazi ibn Modud?  (Read 1358 times)
Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.

« on: December 28, 2008, 05:24:56 pm »

This is what I think it is:

Zangids of Mosul, Sayf al-Din Ghazi ibn Modud
Obverse: Hellenistic head left wearing crested helmet; the Kalima in Kufic around
Reverse: Kufic four-line legend of Caliph Al Mustansir and Ghazi, surrounded by a circular legend with the mint and date
Nisibin mint
575 A.H.
Mitchiner 1123

I believe it is at least scarce, probably rare.

Do I have it right?  (odds seem slim. Smiley )

Retail value?

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
PeterD
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

omnium curiositatum explorator

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 09:32:39 am »

I will probably be corrected by the experts but to me it looks like Album 1863.1
AE Dirham of 'Izz al-Din Mas'ud I, 576-589/1180-1193
minted al-Jazira in 577 only. Rated "R"
For an example see:
http://medievalcoins.ancients.info/cgi-bin/webdata_coinbase.pl?fid=1134082145.022&query=%26Ruler%3DIzz%2Bal-Din%2BMas%2527ud%2BI%2Bbin%2BMawdud%26pagenum%3D1%26cgifunction%3DSearch&cgifunction=form

I have a different Zangid type which is in better condition but rated "C" for which I paid £35, if that is any help.

Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context http://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia
Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 10:25:41 am »

I also thought it might be that coin but the Mitchiner plate coins are not great.  Since I cannot read the script, I can only try to match as close as possible.  From the online photo, I agree it is Album 1863.1. 

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
napki
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 10:34:45 am »

Partial date X77 visible in reverse margin so PeterD likely correct. I not have catalogues with me on beautiful sunny beach  Grin for complete ID.  Fair retail value maybe US$75-$100 because it not that pretty example.
Howard Cole
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Elymais forever!

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 10:51:42 pm »

I paid $47 for my example of this coin about two years ago.  It is slightly better than your coin.

Masis
Caesar

Constantine IV

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 09:40:19 am »

I was wondering...
Did the Zangids and Artuqids actually mint coins with 'classical' images in them, or did they use coins found in hoards and then restrike them?

"He who gives himself airs of importance, exhibits the credentials of impotence". ~ Decimus Laberius, 46 BCE
Howard Cole
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Elymais forever!

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 11:04:48 pm »

They minted the coins with the designs on them.  They are called Islamic Figural Bronzes.  Also the Begteginids, Seljuqs of Rum, Ayyubids, and Lu'lu'id of Mosul issued figural bronzes too. 

I have over 90 of these in my collection.  Some are very rare and many are copies of ones I already own.

napki
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 08:08:44 am »

I was wondering...
Did the Zangids and Artuqids actually mint coins with 'classical' images in them, or did they use coins found in hoards and then restrike them?
Turk peoples copy classical coins when they begin to make coins of themselves - Seleukid, Imperial, Provincial, Byzantine. In many cases can find specific match. Quran bans "graven image" but Turks at that time really only thin paper of Islam over ancient steppe culture. Is also possible they employ Nestorian Christians as die engravers.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: Zangids of Mosul, Sayf al-Din Ghazi ibn Modud? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop