Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Caracalla Deultum / Artemis huntress  (Read 652 times)

Offline perporius

• Caesar
Caracalla Deultum / Artemis huntress
« on: December 28, 2008, 02:05:09 pm »
Please help me to completely ID this coin of Caracalla with Artemis huntress :

ob.   M AVREL ANTONINVS PIVS A  (??)

rev.  COL FL PAC DEVLT

9.1 gr, 24 mm.,

(I have found only this one, I think Moushmov 3529 :
[DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

thanks in advance

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: Caracalla Deultum / Artemis huntress
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 03:38:21 pm »
VERY nice coin.  Caracalla, common elsewhere, is not so common at Deultum, being the first emperor to have coins issued for him there.
SNG Bulg. 1, Ruse 1, nos. 10-12 (3 specimens), pl I.  No citation of previous listings, so not in Jurukova.
Apollo with bow not per se uncommon, but this view with quiver at r., at his feet; on the best of the three specimens, 10, you can see that he does indeed hold the quiver strap in his l. hand.
Pat L.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 04:17:19 pm »
I love this attitude of Apollo where he is dragging the quiver nonchalantly behind. It is one of my favourite Apollos. Here is a similar coin from Hadrianopolis, Jurukova 295. Maybe it is the depiction of a statue?

Best regards

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 04:53:03 pm »
I don't think he's dragging it, rather standing there with it failing to stand up, and leaning away from him. If he was dragging it the base would be away from him. But you're right, it's a lovely reverse.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity