Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Putting the Lye in Licinius  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
Putting the Lye in Licinius
« on: December 23, 2008, 06:42:33 pm »
Ave!

See the pix below for a Licinius issue that's been giving me fits for a week or so.

In the 1st pix, you'll see that around the legends/details there was a hard-as-nails green corrosion that failed to come loose despite DDDP's DD Dremel tools...well, not quite so, but I was leery of cutting into the bronze of the legends and goofing up somehow.

As previously mentioned, I'm not fond of lye soaks, but in this particular case I thought that perhaps a very short lye soak might loosen up the green bits while still keeping most of the original patina intact.

So I went for it: 30 minutes in Red Devil lye solution, followed by SBBB (under running water, of course) and a P-80 Dremel tool. See the 2nd pix for the results. Yikes, looks ugly, huh? Never fear.

As seen, the lye did loosen the GE's enough for the afore-mentioned tools to do their job...while keeping about 50% of the original patina intact.

I then used a 600 grit rubber sharp-point tool to further clean out between the legends and details...and further smooth off the rough bits, a bit more work with the P-80, then a quick dip with Jax Brown to pull it all together. See the last photo.

FYI - I do not consider the coin 'as done' quite yet. There are still a bit of GE's to remove with the P-80 and another longer bath in JAX Brown to really set the final patina...the a quick buff and Ren Wax to finalize the restoration.

Total cleaning time as per writing, including the 30 minutes in lye...? Less than one hour.

Best,

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

romeo

Re: Putting the Lye in Licinius
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 04:58:22 am »
nice job! i would of panicked at the second picture! looks great though!

Offline Raymond

• Consul
  • I want to be a coinnoisseur
Re: Putting the Lye in Licinius
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 11:27:07 am »
It really makes the details of the rev pop.
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity