Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Silvered Antoninianus?  (Read 591 times)

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
Silvered Antoninianus?
« on: December 21, 2008, 12:47:01 am »
Ok, I'm new and could use a little help.  I've been cleaning this coin with just distilled water and a little brushing as the silver is pretty flakey.  So far I'm guessing:

Silvered antoninianus,
2.40 g, 22 mm
obverse IMP C M?
radiate and draped bust right
reverse   NAAVG
Anonna standing left

Any help or comments would be appreciated.  I'm guessing Probus, but like I said, I'm new.

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Silvered Antoninianus?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 12:58:30 am »
I'm thinking Claudius II, from Cyzicus.  The dots under the bust indicate the officina.

IMP C M AVP CLAVDIVS AVG
FORTVNA AVG, Fortuna with rudder and cornucopia

If correct, might well have originally had SPQR in the exergue.

Steve

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 04:48:38 pm »
Thank you very much - guess I was wrong on both sides of the coin. In cases like this where much of the legend is missing do you determine the emperor by the profile?  I tried doing a partial legend search and I still couldn't come up the same information, but I'll go try again.

Thanks for the input!

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 02:51:17 am »
Profile - also little details, like, in this case, the dots under the bust, I'm not certain how often they were used elsewhere, but I knew very well that they were used for Claudius II at Cyzicus - so the portrait, start of the legend, and dots all fitted.

Steve

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 11:25:05 am »
Thank you for your reply.  I have been doing some more digging and I see what you mean by the dots used for Claudius II at Cyzicus.  Now I am trying to figure out why Fortuna instead of Annona.  So many of the figures look so very similar to me (at this point).  I've been looking at that partial letter before that N on the reverse under the microscope - still can't decide.  Also the angle of the right arm - I  may have Annona on the brain though as I have her clearly spelled out on another coin. 

Thank you again for your reply and any other comments.

Joe

All coins are guaranteed for eternity