Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: An overstruck Carausius  (Read 1021 times)

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
An overstruck Carausius
« on: December 13, 2008, 07:00:29 pm »
A long time ago, I traded this coin from a fellow Forvm member, but until now, I didn't get the opportunity to discuss it. I must warn you, it is very worn and there's nothing beautiful about it, but it certainly is an interesting piece of history.

The overstruck type can be identified with some struggling as being an Antoninian of Carausius, IMP C CARAVSIVS P F AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right / PAX AVG, Pax standing left, holding branch and sceptre.

The undertype is more difficult to determine. On the obverse, on Carausius' head, one can quite distinctively make out Victory advancing right, holding wreath in left hand and palm over her shoulder. But who was the issuer? We know that Carausius reused Gallic Empire antoniniani quite frequently to overstrike them with his own types, so it is tempting to assume that the undertype here is Gallic, too. If that is true, and I am quite convinced it is, there are three options, since these are the only Gallic Empire ants with Victory advancing right:

- Postumus and his very rare VICTORIA GERMANICA reverse, Zschucke 133, Cunetio 2410
- Laelian with VICTORIA AVG, Zschucke 244-245, Cunetio 2499-2501, or
- Marius with VICTORIA AVG, Zschucke 247, Cunetio 2507

Fortunately, some traces of the portrait can still be seen, and the small head plus the long beard probably exclude Marius. So it should be either Postumus, or Laelian. Personally, I think it is the latter, since a.) Postumus head usually looks bolder and heavily built and, more importantly, b.) his VICTORIA GERMANICA issue would have been of considerably better silver quality.

My conclusion thus is: a Carausius antoninian with PAX AVG reverse, Pax holding sceptre and branch, probably overstruck on a Laelian antoninian with VICTORIA AVG reverse, Victory advancing right, holding wreath and branch.

Lars

PS: Click on the pictures to zoom in.
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

romeo

Re: An overstruck Carausius
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 04:16:25 am »
wow! well done on that detective work. isn't that one of the great things about our hobby, even the most worn ugly coins can hold such a treasure of information and history. nice post Pscipio!

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 01:46:35 pm »
Hi,

An interesting coin and, yes, Laelian is the most likely candidate. I have a number overstruck on Gallienus, Claudius II and Victorinus but Laelian is new to me.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline S.Sondermann

• Praetorian
    • Sondermann-Numismatics
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 03:37:21 am »
Hi Lars,

A very interesting find, congrats! Personally I would vote for Postumus. The style of the drapery around Victory's hip seems to be quite similar to the VICTORIA GERMANICA reverse type (despite the Victory looks a bit "crude" to me). Maybe it could be an overstrike on a local imitation of Postumus (Cunetio 2906 proves, that they are existing), what would explain the low silver content.

regards
Sebastian
http://www.Gallic-Empire.com - Website about Gallic Empire Coinage and History.

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 06:03:35 pm »
Hi Sebastian,

but a local imitation would make it even more tricky to attribute it to a certain emperor based on the style of the little we see of Victory.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

All coins are guaranteed for eternity