Classical Numismatics Discussion Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 29, 2014, 10:17:33 pm
Search Calendar Login Register

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Uncleaned Ancient Coins  |  Uncleaned Ancient Coin Discussion (Moderator: bruce61813)  |  Topic: Hadrian sestertius 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hadrian sestertius  (Read 1646 times)
Philoromaos
Caesar

NVNC EST BIBENDVM

« on: December 11, 2008, 02:58:16 pm »

Hi again everyone! Just bought this hadrian sestertius and the seller stated it could be inproved with a little cleaning. Whats the best way to go about this or do you think it would be best left as it is? Thanks

areich
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 03:04:37 pm »

Mechanical cleaning with a scalpel or similar under magnification.
There is a thread in the uncleaned section started by Arminius that shows what is possible:

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=48306.0

Andreas

Arminius
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

carpe diem

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 03:15:11 pm »

Thats depending on your taste and expectations.

I would try to make his body colour homogenous (the light green spot, 2. mecanical cleaning?, 3. repatination of the yellow areas on his cheek and oher too bright areas or scratches) and eliminate some of the dirt like looking deposits in lower areas (by 1a. boiling in soda solution plus 1b. mechanical cleaning).

regards

Eis aiona tov Curtis ep agathw Arminius.
awl
Comitia Curiata
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 04:49:04 pm »

I would leave the coin as is. The coin is already nice right now and it is best to not risk messing it up. If you do decide to clean it, practice mechanical cleaning on inexpensive coins beforehand.
Gavignano
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

"I check Forvm daily, and take a multivitamin."

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 08:15:40 pm »

Hi. How hard is that darker stuff on the reverse, hard would make this a tough one to do unless you've done other similar ones!
What you take off could mean no patina under, or something even less attractive. The small poc marks look like they are within the substance, not on top of it.
I would agree with awl, in that its worth considering the price and scarcity of  coin like this, lest you make a mistake you will regret (been there, greater than once).

"May all your campgates be Ticinums"
Mayadigger
Caesar

Romans, lock your wives way!

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 08:26:38 pm »

Ave!

An excellent coin that needs professional cleaning. Your coin has BD and needs curing; see the circled below.

Hi. How hard is that darker stuff on the reverse, hard would make this a tough one to do unless you've done other similar ones!
What you take off could mean no patina under, or something even less attractive. The small poc marks look like they are within the substance, not on top of it.
I would agree with awl, in that its worth considering the price and scarcity of  coin like this, lest you make a mistake you will regret (been there, greater than once).
I would leave the coin as is. The coin is already nice right now and it is best to not risk messing it up. If you do decide to clean it, practice mechanical cleaning on inexpensive coins beforehand.

Best,

Kevin

"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"
Philoromaos
Caesar

NVNC EST BIBENDVM

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 01:46:44 pm »

Thanks for your input! How would I go about getting it professionaly cleaned? Regards

Gavignano
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

"I check Forvm daily, and take a multivitamin."

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 07:23:54 pm »

Adrian - the person in the above post might be able to help - send him a PM.

"May all your campgates be Ticinums"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Uncleaned Ancient Coins  |  Uncleaned Ancient Coin Discussion (Moderator: bruce61813)  |  Topic: Hadrian sestertius « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop