Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Hadrian sestertius  (Read 2592 times)

Offline Philoromaos

• Caesar
  • NVNC EST BIBENDVM
Hadrian sestertius
« on: December 11, 2008, 04:58:16 pm »
Hi again everyone! Just bought this hadrian sestertius and the seller stated it could be inproved with a little cleaning. Whats the best way to go about this or do you think it would be best left as it is? Thanks

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Hadrian sestertius
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 05:04:37 pm »
Mechanical cleaning with a scalpel or similar under magnification.
There is a thread in the uncleaned section started by Arminius that shows what is possible:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=48306.0

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 05:15:11 pm »
Thats depending on your taste and expectations.

I would try to make his body colour homogenous (the light green spot, 2. mecanical cleaning?, 3. repatination of the yellow areas on his cheek and oher too bright areas or scratches) and eliminate some of the dirt like looking deposits in lower areas (by 1a. boiling in soda solution plus 1b. mechanical cleaning).

regards

Offline awl

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 06:49:04 pm »
I would leave the coin as is. The coin is already nice right now and it is best to not risk messing it up. If you do decide to clean it, practice mechanical cleaning on inexpensive coins beforehand.

gavignano

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 10:15:40 pm »
Hi. How hard is that darker stuff on the reverse, hard would make this a tough one to do unless you've done other similar ones!
What you take off could mean no patina under, or something even less attractive. The small poc marks look like they are within the substance, not on top of it.
I would agree with awl, in that its worth considering the price and scarcity of  coin like this, lest you make a mistake you will regret (been there, greater than once).

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 10:26:38 pm »
Ave!

An excellent coin that needs professional cleaning. Your coin has BD and needs curing; see the circled below.

Hi. How hard is that darker stuff on the reverse, hard would make this a tough one to do unless you've done other similar ones!
What you take off could mean no patina under, or something even less attractive. The small poc marks look like they are within the substance, not on top of it.
I would agree with awl, in that its worth considering the price and scarcity of  coin like this, lest you make a mistake you will regret (been there, greater than once).
I would leave the coin as is. The coin is already nice right now and it is best to not risk messing it up. If you do decide to clean it, practice mechanical cleaning on inexpensive coins beforehand.

Best,

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline Philoromaos

• Caesar
  • NVNC EST BIBENDVM
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 03:46:44 pm »
Thanks for your input! How would I go about getting it professionaly cleaned? Regards

gavignano

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 09:23:54 pm »
Adrian - the person in the above post might be able to help - send him a PM.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity