Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: new to board not new to cleaning  (Read 1481 times)

DirtyBronze

new to board not new to cleaning
« on: December 05, 2008, 03:12:23 pm »
hello I am a coin cleaner. I use mostly dw, a toothbrush and the occasional olive oil but I am preparing to go mechanical. I've been cleaning for about ten years and have a lot of coins that won't budge. I am beginning to look for a microscope and some tools. I would like to be able to take pictures or have the images show up on my computer. I am not looking to spend a fortune but don't want the cheapest either. I would like one with a lot of maginification. I am looking for recommendations or a discussion on the subject and what tools to buy, scalpels etc. and anything else I might need.

For those who use these, please let me know your thoughts.

and in the meantime I need some advice on cleaning the white cups -

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: new to board not new to cleaning
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 05:19:54 pm »
Welcome to Forvm

There have been several discussions to tools that the cleaners here use

here are a few links

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=46096.0

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=41868.0

As for the microscope, I still love the AMscope I was talking about  in the second link. 5x, 10x, 15x, and 30x resolution is all you need .  My digital camera has a small lens that actually fits over the eyepiece of the microscope for good pictures. Most of my cleaning is done at 10x

The Scopes go for a few hundred bucks  to several thousand.  The one I use is at this link, and was purchased from this very company.

[BROKEN LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

I hope this help,  and once again, welcome to forvm. you'll find that the resident experts here are fantastic and an excellent source of information and help with everything from attribution, historical issues  and cleaning issues, and everything else related to ancients.

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 09:15:56 am »
Welcome! I remember a post back a year or two ago on cleaning them (when I first started collecting I got a lot that were all stuck together in a stack that had crust like that and had to figure out how to clean)...if I can find it I'll shoot you a link. Until I find it though, what have you done up until now?

Chris

PS whatever you do, don't do electryolosis on them; either the electrical or non-electrical way. They have a really high copper content and all you will end up doing is causing the copper to kinda "rise to the surface". I do not know a technical way to explain it, but even though the silver content is high enough to look silver, the copper is just waiting to shine through, almost like it seperates. This goes for denarii and tetradrachm as well.

C.

edit - I found the post I was talking about, but there are a couple of methods described that can be harmful to these coins and I remembered what I did.
Soak them in DW for a day or two.
Pull and put in lemon juice for no longer than 5 minutes
Using my softest brass cup brush, and under running water, just feather touch the dremel to the crust in a circular manner until you have touched the whole coin
Using common dish soap and a toothbrush (also under running water) clean the whole coin (to get rid of any remaining lemon juice) and return to the DW. Repeat until clean.

As sad as this is I lost interest in them the second I was done cleaning them and have never tried to attrib or even photograph, but I will take a pic and post here in a little bit so you can see the results.

c.

(further edit) OK I took some pics. the first one was simply lemon juice and dremel, and if I remember correctly, possible a dull dental pic to pop off the pop off-able crud. The second coin was lightly zapped and the rest of the process was the same (no lemon juice though). When I was first done with them they were much more shiny and easier to see the copper bleeding through, but they have been sitting on a window sill for like a year and have toned a bit. I marked the coppery areas on #2 though and hopefully you will get the idea.
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

DirtyBronze

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 02:48:21 pm »
thanks for the replies and welcomes - I am not having much trouble cleaning the copper cups and in fact think they are among the easiest ancients to clean patience of course being key

I guess it's the higher silver content billon coins that are throwing me for a loop - like this one here in Simons gallery and my early pic above:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-8638

I am working on one of these and will post the pic later - and have several other trachys that are whiter more than coppery and I wonder - will a silver brush (which I do not own yet) help or hurt

I am a little careful to use lemon juice on them - opinions welcomed

and anything else you can add

All coins are guaranteed for eternity