Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help ID Antoninus Pius As  (Read 545 times)

Offline Tanit

• Caesar
    • My Collection
Help ID Antoninus Pius As
« on: December 07, 2008, 06:27:33 pm »
Hi

I can not find this coin or in my documentation or on the Internet.
Can you help me identify it?

Thanks

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Help ID Antoninus Pius As
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 07:04:45 pm »
I think,  an am usually wrong with these

Ric III  Rome 1055 
OBV  ::  ANTONINVS AVG PIVS PP laureate head right
REV ::   TR POT XXIIII COS IIII . clasped hands holding poppy and corn ears,  SC at bottom
Minted in Rome  160-161 AD

LOL as I said,  I am usually wrong with these issues.. 

cheers

edited..........definately would ask for a second opinion on my attribution .......................

Offline Tanit

• Caesar
    • My Collection
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 05:37:15 pm »
This coin was found with a stone engraved similar to reverse. Does this mean something or is just a coincidence?

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 06:45:43 pm »
'It was found together with  '  is just as sound information as ' it was passed through my great grandfather' It doesn't mean zilch...
The handshake in Roman times meant: we are in agreement - we have made a bond.
Funnily enough the handshake coin is one of the first, largely produced coins of Antonine as Caesar, and one of the rare coins shortly before his death.
I have always supposed the meaning was to stress his allience to marcus Aurelius at a time the old emperor felt his time had come.
If ever you want to part with this coin.... I know of a warm family-like collection it would fit into....

Frans

Offline Tanit

• Caesar
    • My Collection
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 08:00:31 am »
Thank you Frans.

You will be the first that I will inform if I'm looking for him a warm adoptive family-like collection.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity