Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Looks like an Otoman Akche  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
Looks like an Otoman Akche
« on: November 29, 2008, 02:56:24 pm »
Hello,

13-14 mm / 1,18 g

if i´m right, can someone read the details?

Thanks

Manzikert

Re: Looks like an Otoman Akche
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 04:52:55 pm »
Hi

This is a kharub from Tunis mint, struck under Mustafa III (1171-1187 H/ 1757-1774 AD), see http://www.osmanliparalari.com/26-3mustafa-1171/26-3mustafa-foto/26-Haru-1177-tunus.jpg

Unfortunately the year of issue (at the top of your right image) and the actual year (at bottom on your right image) are unreadable.

Best wishes

Alan

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 05:18:21 pm »
Thanks  Alan!

With the coin in my hand i believe to read the upper parts of the numbers/year AH 1174 / 1761 AD.

Like on this one:
[link removed by Admin]

Best regards

Manzikert

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 05:40:54 pm »
Hi

Sorry, but the only digits there are the tops of the 11 and the 'V' of the 7 (in red on the image below: the fourth digit is completely off the flan, and would be under the 'nun' of 'tunis' (in green).

Best wishes

Alan

crystel_

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 07:01:43 pm »
I think I have the same coin as you... would love to hear more information that you may have found on it!

My coin has the opposite side worn from yours... maybe we can help eachother on identifying it. My photo isn't that clear but I am going to get in touch with my girlfriend and see if she can take a photo with her macro lens in the next few days. Also, I am working on getting someone to help translate the coin.

Look forward to hearing from you!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity