Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Renwax removal  (Read 1763 times)

Offline laney

• Caesar
Renwax removal
« on: November 29, 2008, 10:48:38 am »
I have a coin that I am quite sure has been waxed, but that needs a few areas cleaned.  I tried heating followed by wiping, but that didn't work at all.  The Forum search that I did on the topic doesn't really come to any conclusions.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks.
Laney

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Renwax removal
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 03:15:50 pm »
did you try alcohool ?  I've also heard  (  although never tried it )  boiling the coin to remove wax

sorry if I can't be more useful to you ,  but  this is a situation I have not personally encountered yet,  but  I hope it helps

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 04:07:55 pm »
did you try alcohool ?  I've also heard  (  although never tried it )  boiling the coin to remove wax

sorry if I can't be more useful to you ,  but  this is a situation I have not personally encountered yet,  but  I hope it helps

I have found that boiling the coin for like 5-10 minutes in DW usually does the trick. (I also found that it makes cleanable dirt easier to see and remove, I figure that it has seeped down into the crud and when dried, kinda forced it open. When I have removed wax from a coin like this the dirt usually comes off pretty easy. I do not, however, recommend using this as a cleaning techique as renwax is freakin expensive!)

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Scotvs Capitis

• Conservator Princeps
  • Caesar
  • This space intentionally left blank
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 05:15:24 pm »
Since Renwax is a petroleum product, any solvent will do the trick like a soak in white mineral spitits (odorless is best) and a light brushing with a soft toothbrush. This is the carrier in Ren wax, and should soften it up. Boiling is being reported as successful as you can see, but I've had issues with Ren Wax not fully coming off on coins I have bought that were waxed but needed more cleaning or a bronze disease treatment. Water being trapped under that wax that remains behind is not good. Mineral spirits will not promote further corrosion when it evaporates, as water may promote.

Lacquer solvents and thinners will also remove it in short order, but these stink and can be more dangerous than mineral spirits, but they evaporate faster and none of these products harm the metal or patina.
SCOTVS CAPITIS - Hovstonoplis Tex
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery

Offline larry c

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 05:27:09 pm »
Alcohol soak to cut the wax, then DW boil to remove residues.
I have luck cleaning the dirt on waxed coins also, it seems to clump
together and lift off in chunks. You might try a few spots before
you go chemical on it.
“Do you have the patience to do nothing"

Offline laney

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 08:24:35 am »
Thank you one and all.  I'm going to wax a few junkers, and then experiment on some of these methods.  I'll post any failure or success experience.
Laney

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 10:15:37 am »
Thank you one and all.  I'm going to wax a few junkers, and then experiment on some of these methods.  I'll post any failure or success experience.
Laney

Good deal, please do!

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Scotvs Capitis

• Conservator Princeps
  • Caesar
  • This space intentionally left blank
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 08:01:17 pm »
Laney

No better way to determine a best practice!  :)
SCOTVS CAPITIS - Hovstonoplis Tex
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity