Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Stitching with GIMP 2.6  (Read 22536 times)

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • SUSPIRIUM PUELLAM GULIELMUS THRAEX!
Stitching with GIMP 2.6
« on: November 22, 2008, 07:09:14 am »
I have just downloaded the latest version of the GIMP, but I am at a loss on how to stitich two images toghether. Ive browsed the online tutorials but nothing so far. Any clues as how to do it?? :)

I have managed my first 'professional' photo using a Canon IXUS 75 and a light tent, and would like to add the last touch, before I unveil it offically in the Best Worst coin of the day thread!

cepasaccus

Re: Stitching with GIMP 2.6
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 05:44:31 pm »
cepasaccus Gaio s. d.

If you mean by stitching to have them side by side, I do following:

1) Crop both images down to have the desired border.
2) Scale one or both to have the same height.
3) Image -> Canvas Size ... the to be left image. Change the width only (unclick the chain) to be at least the added width of both images. (The image is positioned at the left border, but can be moved to the right border if required.)
4) Copy the other image.
5) Paste it into the enlarged image and create a new layer: Layer -> New Layer ...
6) With the cursor keys (with shift for larger steps) I move it as far right as needed. (Also the Move tool can be used.)
7) Image -> Flatten Image (Steps 5-7 can also be made without a new layer, but I can store the file after step 6 as xcf for later usage.)
8) Cut down superfluous borders either with the Crop tool or with Image -> Autocrop Image.

For people who like to have The Shadow there is also the Free Select and Fuzzy Selct tool and Gaussian Blur and ...

vale

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 10:48:31 pm »
I think it's simpler just to create a new image to paste the two halves into...

Basically:

File->Open photo # 1
File->Open photo # 2
File->New and specify approximate size needed for end result (e.g. if each is 400x400, specify 800x400)

You can use Image->Image Properties, if needed, to check the image size, or just swag it and pick a big enough size.

Now, copy & paste the two halves:

Photo 1 : Edit->Copy
New : Edit-Paste
Photo 2 : Edit->Copy
New : Edit->Paste

Optionally use the exacto-knife "Crop Tool" to cut any excess background surrounding the end result (click and stretch to get the rough size, the pull each edge into final position, and click in the middle to crop - try it and you'll see what I mean).

Now File->Save As on the new photo to save it to  disk.

Once you're comfortable with this you may choose to not copy & paste all of a photo but rather just a rectangle around the coin itself. To do this use the [] rectangle select tool to select the part you want to copy, then copy & paste as before.

If you took the photos without using a stand, they are probably not both quite the same size, and you can use Image->Scale Image on one of the photos to resize it to match the other one.

A useful tip if you're resizing is to scale by percentage rather than to a fixed size (because you're only interested in the size of part of the photo - the coin - not the entire photo):

Use the calipers/dividers tool to measure the size of the coin itself in one photo, then to measure the coin at the same place on the second photo. Say the obverse is 400 pixels, but the reverse is 300 pixels. Now use the windows calculator to divide these numbers : 300 / 400 = 0.75, so you can now scale the obverse by 75% to get it to match the reverse (or alternatively 400 / 300 = 1.33, then scale the reverse by 133%).

Ben

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • SUSPIRIUM PUELLAM GULIELMUS THRAEX!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 07:21:22 am »
Thank you Ben, for your clear and precise instructions. Thank you also cepasaccus, if you only registered to help me!

The finished product will be posted to the Best Worst Coin of the Day thread.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity