Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Julia Mamea dupondius  (Read 970 times)

a

Julia Mamea dupondius
« on: October 21, 2008, 05:42:06 pm »
Hi,

Please help me to define the rarity grade of this Julia Mamea FELICITAS TEMP dupondius.

7.6g

Best Regards,
Explorer

Offline newbeonecoinobe

• Consul
  • This a great forum
Re: Julia Mamea dupondius
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 07:47:54 pm »
If I am reading RIC correctly it looks like RIC IV part B, #682 listed as Common C.29

Nice looking Coin

Pete

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 08:15:21 pm »
Well, "common" or not, it is a beautiful coin.

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

a

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 01:58:09 am »
Thank you, Pete.

Regards,
Explorer

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Julia Mamaea dupondius
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 08:21:52 pm »
This is certainly a scarce coin.

Only one spec. in CoinArchives, one in Berk photofile, none in Wildwinds.

Mamaea was the first lady to use the crescent behind shoulders to indicate her dupondii, and only three such coins occur in any quantity: FELICITAS TEMP like yours, FELICITAS PVBLICA with goddess standing and leaning on column, FELICITAS PVBLICA with goddess seated.

Generally, Mamaea's types occur in all denominations, aurei, denarii, sestertii, middle bronzes.  FELICITAS TEMP is her ONLY ordinary-looking type which in contrast is restricted to a single denomination, namely dupondii only.

Sev. Alex. also has two types that occur on dupondii only:  RESTITVTOR MON, Emperor standing, and MON RESTITVTA, Moneta standing, obviously contemporary with each other; not only is the theme the same, but the illustrated BM specimens, 544 and 546 on pl. 19, share the same obv. die.

I suspect that Mamaea's FELICITAS TEMP may be contemporary with these two dupondius types of Alexander.

RIC's "Common" for this dupondius may be disregarded: it simply reflects Cohen 29's "Common", which does not mean "readily obtainable", but rather "not particularly sought after by collectors, so not costly", when and if it does occur!
Curtis Clay

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 09:27:28 pm »
For whatever it is worth, it has been my observation that "common" in RIC means little if anything.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 11:09:40 am »
I actively collect Severus Alexander and his family and I have only two of the dupondii Curtis mentioned.  It's rare and you have a nice example.
Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147

All coins are guaranteed for eternity