Resources > Ancient and Medieval Coin Identification Help

Severus Alexander(?) dolphin/tunny reverse Anchialos

(1/1)

casata137ec:
Evening all, I went to the local shop today and found a few oddities. This is the first of them. From the bust it looks to be Severus Alexander, and from what I can make out of the obverse legend ( AVTMA*****), it is a possibility, but I can find no reference (in my paltry library or online). Any help is, and always, apprecitaed!

Chris

PS is the reverse oriented correctly? I was just going by the legend and I think it is correct...  ;D

26.5mm 8.43g

slokind:
I, too, am unsure (i.e., totally at sea) as to the Boy Emperor, but you have the dolphin in the middle of the reverse right side up, with its head to r.  Pat L.

Jay GT4:
Maximinus Thrax AE26 of Anchialus, Thrace. AVT MAXIMEINOC EV CEB ACN, laureate head right / AGCIALEWN, dolphin between two fish.

Anchialus AE26
Moushmov 2893

I could only find one online

Steve Minnoch:
Pick's take on the obv legend is a bit different, but Titus' ID seems correct to me:

Steve

casata137ec:
With the obverse legend, it does not seem like there is an argument against Thrax, but man o' man, the bust sure does look like Severus Alexander! It sure seem like an awfully big slap in the face to have the deposed emperors bust on the coinage of his replacement, but I am sure that this is not that uncommon (or the theory about Thrax's affliction are correct and this is one of his early coins before his chin and brow became so prominent?). Anyway...thank you all!

Chris

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version