Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Spanish coin of Philip the 3rd(not for id,but some info on it).  (Read 3160 times)

Offline Tiberiusjulius

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
Spanish coin of Philip the 3rd(not for id,but some info on it).
« on: October 10, 2008, 05:10:33 pm »
I know that this coin is of Philip the 3rd of Spain,but are there any references for it? rarities?Which side is obverse?Just looking for any information I can put in the coin flip I will be putting this in.

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
Re: Spanish coin of Philip the 3rd(not for id,but some info on it).
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 05:52:25 pm »
I have a similar coin in my gallery:

Hispania, Felipe III, Segovia mint, 1616 AD.,
4 Maravedis (19-21 mm / 3,12 g),
Obv.: PHILIPPVS · III · D · G + , around castle between aequeduct (mint mark) and IIII (value mark).
Rev.: HISPANIARVM · REX · 1616 , around crowned lion to left.
Clemente/Cayon p. 572, 4087 .

These coins are generally not rare.

A good reference is the catalog "Las Monedas Espanolas by Adolfo Cayon, Clemente Cayon, Juan Ramon Cayon (1998)".

The Segovia mint (mint mark aequeduct) as the first Spanish mint introduced milling machines for the production of otherwise hammered bronze coins.
More details and info:
http://www.segoviamint.org/english/mint.htm

Your coin is the 2 Maravedis denomination and shows a different date.

For similar coins use this link: http://www.arminius-numismatics.com/coppermine1414/cpg1414/thumbnails.php?album=70

regards

Offline Tiberiusjulius

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 10:43:57 pm »
But don't I have a different mintmark?

khingila

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 12:08:35 am »
Your mint mark is on the obverse to the left of the castle. This is the aqueduct mark of Segovia. To the right of the castle is the denomination (II). One way to determine obverse and reverse on medieval and early modern coins is to follow the legends which often make a single sentence. In this case "Dei Gratia" (abbreviated D. G. "by the grace of God")" on the castle side should precede "Hispaniarum Rex" ("King of the Spanish") on the lion side. Your coin is Clemente & Cayon (2005 ed.) 4225, valued at 10 Euros.

Offline Tiberiusjulius

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 11:22:55 am »
I understand where the mintmark is,but don't me and Arminius have different mintmarks?Are they both the aqueduct mark of Segovia?

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 01:17:32 pm »
Well observed!

There are different versions of the aequeducts: horizontal or vertical arrangement, three or four pillars.

But as no other mint used this chracteristic mark it was always the Segovia mint.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity